Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 11:39 PM

Re: You Have One Whole Fresh Chicken....

I would use the breast to roast or to make Sweet and Sour or Chicken Kiev or Southern Fried Chicken. I don't eat chicken legs/wings/thighs so they would go in a cauldron with the carcass to make soup.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
What do you use to cut up the chicken? Any special kitchen implement? I often cook a whole chicken, but like the idea of cutting it, for the separate parts.

Jazzi, I use strong kitchen scissors, a small serrated Kitchen Devil knife, or my hands to break the bones!
One of my children used to run a mile when l used to break the bones, as she didn't like the sound!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Chop it up,
..cover it with sage to mask the smell ,
..cover with foil and cook slowly,
..remove the skin and bones,
..give to Chloe

Oh Meg, l was so looking forward to reading about you doing something really exotic with the chicken.... what a let down. Lucky Chloe though!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

15-02-2021, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
In summer most of the chicken would be eaten cold with salad which is what I mostly live on in the warmer weather.

Winter is the time for half of the chicken to make a roast plus some cold for a sandwich. The remainder is used in the slow-cooker for a tasty casserole, without too much preparation time. That with plenty of vegetables will usually make two meals for me so in total I get about three meals out of one whole chicken.

I started eating more chicken when changing my lifestyle after being diagnosed as almost Type 2 diabetic. Chicken, being a white meat without too much fat but lots of protein is reckoned to be good when undertaking such a change.

The lifestyle change worked I was no longer pre-diabetic and I lost 10kg in weight too! ,
It all sounds good! Baz.
It’s amazing how much can be made out of one chicken.
I sometimes make a chicken pie with leftover chicken, making béchamel sauce and chopped vegetables and mix it all up.
I cheat with the Puff pastry and buy that.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

15-02-2021, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I would use the breast to roast or to make Sweet and Sour or Chicken Kiev or Southern Fried Chicken. I don't eat chicken legs/wings/thighs so they would go in a cauldron with the carcass to make soup.
ST, l forgot about chicken Kiev that l make too.
I wonder if you would post your recipe for the Southern Fried Chicken coating. Please, as it sounds lovely.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 05:42 AM

I'd let it run around in the yard.

Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Jazzi, I use strong kitchen scissors, a small serrated Kitchen Devil knife, or my hands to break the bones!
One of my children used to run a mile when l used to break the bones, as she didn't like the sound!
Yes, that would put me off!
Thanks.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
ST, l forgot about chicken Kiev that l make too.
I wonder if you would post your recipe for the Southern Fried Chicken coating. Please, as it sounds lovely.
I usually use this one :-

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes...1-a78e4c011172
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

16-02-2021, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I usually use this one :-

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes...1-a78e4c011172
ST, Thank You for the recipe. I must have a go at making it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 09:23 PM

Hi

I am on a low fat menu, got to protect my heart.

No chicken skin

Marinades and oils are put under the skin which is discarded before eating.

It is still tasty.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top