Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2012, 07:29 PM

How Has The Internet Changed Your Life?

Also how did you get to be online.I remember some years ago thinking I would never ever get online as what did I know about that strange world.Then I met someone and she basically bulied me to and well that was that.Have to say its made a huge difference in my life...HUGE in many areas...but what about you?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2012, 07:50 PM

Re: How Has The Internet Changed Your Life?

Also how did you get to be online.
My son was very interested in computers and had one of the first on the market an Atari He told me they would revolutionise communication and how we viewed the world.

He progressed to a DAN which was assembled to his requirements and paid for by a kind uncle. I was persuaded to try it out and eventually inherited it. Each time my son upgraded I inherited the old PC including my latest which is a DELL laptop.

I am so pleased my son took the time and trouble to teach me the basics of computing (although I was quite a slow learner). He thought being computer literate would be an interesting and useful 'tool' for me to have .
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2012, 07:57 PM

I always said I would never use a computer and that people were sad who sat on computers all day but about three years ago I started using one and I got involved in dog rescues and forums and I have made many very good friends through doing so who I never would have met as they are dotted all around the country.

I wouldnt be without it now as it has made me feel useful apart from anything else as even though I cant do the fostering side for the rescues at the minute as I used to I can still do fund raising and other bits and bobs to help and I love it.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2012, 08:03 PM

My stepson was very interested in computers - probably about 12 - 15 years ago. He started going on courses about them. I remember saying to OH "What on earth does anybody want a computer for. They will never catch on" My sister bought one a while later & I went up to have a look at it - Although the internet was dead slow 'Dial up' I think I only had a go at the office stuff & decided that I wanted one as well. Hubby's son had told him what he could do with photos & as he was into photography he decided he wanted one as well. My stepson built one for us It cost a fortune compared to the price of them now Over the years my stepson has kept us going on it - we used to phone him up every few days with problems.
I couldnt imagine being without one now even though loads of hobbies have gone down the spout - its either them or the pc - no time for both
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My son was very interested in computers and had one of the first on the market an Atari He told me they would revolutionise communication and how we viewed the world.

He progressed to a DAN which was assembled to his requirements and paid for by a kind uncle. I was persuaded to try it out and eventually inherited it. Each time my son upgraded I inherited the old PC including my latest which is a DELL laptop.

I am so pleased my son took the time and trouble to teach me the basics of computing (although I was quite a slow learner). He thought being computer literate would be an interesting and useful 'tool' for me to have .
How wonderful it must be Meg to have a Son who knows so much about this strange world!Does he want a second Mummy
Bonny
UK

19-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bridie ->
I always said I would never use a computer and that people were sad who sat on computers all day but about three years ago I started using one and I got involved in dog rescues and forums and I have made many very good friends through doing so who I never would have met as they are dotted all around the country.

I wouldnt be without it now as it has made me feel useful apart from anything else as even though I cant do the fostering side for the rescues at the minute as I used to I can still do fund raising and other bits and bobs to help and I love it.
Good on you Bridie for using it for such a good cause
Bonny
UK

19-01-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
My stepson was very interested in computers - probably about 12 - 15 years ago. He started going on courses about them. I remember saying to OH "What on earth does anybody want a computer for. They will never catch on" My sister bought one a while later & I went up to have a look at it - Although the internet was dead slow 'Dial up' I think I only had a go at the office stuff & decided that I wanted one as well. Hubby's son had told him what he could do with photos & as he was into photography he decided he wanted one as well. My stepson built one for us It cost a fortune compared to the price of them now Over the years my stepson has kept us going on it - we used to phone him up every few days with problems.
I couldnt imagine being without one now even though loads of hobbies have gone down the spout - its either them or the pc - no time for both
Oh ye Lynne I forgot about good old dial up....what a flipping pain and what an expense it was!!!Another lucky girl with an expert in the family.....think I will adopt someone about 20 lol!
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bonny ->
Oh ye Lynne I forgot about good old dial up....what a flipping pain and what an expense it was!!!Another lucky girl with an expert in the family.....think I will adopt someone about 20 lol!
Yes it was expensive. We were terrified of using it too much
My stepson is brilliant at computers. He's got a brilliant job working with them now but the trouble is every body wants him to sort out their PC problems & his weekends are taken over with helping people. We try not to call on him too often now but when he comes down he does spend most of his time doing something or other for us
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2012, 08:21 PM

My introduction to the internet was 8 years ago when my husband surprised me by buying me a PC for Christmas. Shocked would be more like it as neither of us had an inkling of how it worked so I was thinking he has wasted his money!

To the rescue came my son, who I since found out was 'in' on the gift. He and a friend came and set it all up for me and showed me the basics (I felt like I was back at Infant School again!)When I was left on my own with the PC, I was scared I would press something wrong. The biggest boost I got was when I sent my son my first email ..... I was so thrilled that I had achieved it! My son said to keep using him as a practice for getting used to emails..... so I took him at his word and bombarded him every day!

I have come a long way since those days, my son, who always uses a Mac for his work, persuaded me to change to a Mac ..... another Christmas present from hubby! What a difference, I love my Mac, it's so much better than a PC and as my son visits regularly he updates and sorts everything out for me.

I now have an iPad as well, so from being completely ignorant about computers 8 years ago, I have to say it has completely changed my life and I couldn't imagine life without one.
Unfortunately my husband isn't interested in the computer at all no matter how hard I try to get him to use it
Bonny
UK

19-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
Yes it was expensive. We were terrified of using it too much
My stepson is brilliant at computers. He's got a brilliant job working with them now but the trouble is every body wants him to sort out their PC problems & his weekends are taken over with helping people. We try not to call on him too often now but when he comes down he does spend most of his time doing something or other for us
Sounds great Lynne!I actually took this lappy back to Factory Settings a couple of weeks ago all on my own and very proud of that fact...I remember the first time I sent a picture in an email......WOW HOW CLEVER WAS I.....makes me laugh when I think back.Oh guess what ive got now but I haven't installed it yet.Its a programme where if I don't want to type I dont.....I just talk and the lappy does it.Finds programmes.....emails.....types what I want.Is that brill or what!!!I really have to sort it out as ive had it for months.Mind you if I had done it it would have been a waste of time as would have gone after I got rid of everything on here and...slap on wrist....I didn't back anything up!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top