Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 04:59 PM

Feedback on a 'Check A Trade' tradesman

First time ever I have used "Check A Trade", the first Tradesman suggested had a score of 9.9 from 82 reviews, so called him. He turned up on the day as promised, to give me a quote, having inspected the job, he said he would submit the quote within 24 hours, that was last Tuesday.
Should I just put this down as an inconvenience and find another Tradesman, should I call him and ask what the hell happened to the quotation, or should I leave a negative review, I suppose I should do the last option, if other folks want a true representation.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 05:05 PM

Re: Feedback on a 'Check A Trade' tradesman

I titled the Thread "Feedback", who elaborated the Title.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 05:08 PM

Only used 'check a trade' once for a neighbour
The only truth in the reviews on him was the tidiness otherwise very unreliable
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-10-2015, 05:13 PM

I think I proved a bit knowledgeable on what was being requested, so there was no space to inflate the cost, I'll keep stum with the next one Patsy.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 05:18 PM

I used three different Trades sites a while back leaving an email address and a telephone number but stressing that I'd like an email response first.

Got no replies whatsoever.

Tried again and came up against a site asking what I thought the job would cost - maximum.

How the bloody hell should I know!

Gave up Trades sites as a complete waste of time.

MESSAGE TO TRADESMEN.

If you want the work then give us a landline 'phone number, not just a poxy mobile and have the decency to answer or just go forth and multiply - OK?! stevmk2
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-10-2015, 05:24 PM

Have you noticed that Tradesfolk no longer have an address or a Landline number on their vans anymore.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 05:43 PM

I have used them a few times also rated people site, both sites have come up trumps each time with really helpful tradesmen who did a good job. Only time I felt let down was when we needed an emergency plumber and that was a nightmare of biblical proportions.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 05:47 PM

Spitfire we use Trading Standards now, it's all too easy to get onto CheckaTrade we were told.

However, in your case...I would always call first and simply ask what happened to the quote you were promised in 24 hours.

But then I usually give folk the benefit of the doubt before I clobber them
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-10-2015, 06:11 PM

In this case, I am buying a new Consumer Unit, which needs to be fitted in a new location, at the same time, I am punching a hole in the exterior wall to fit a new window, in the process of doing this, walls will be de-plastered, and the ceiling opened up, giving free access to all the wiring tails, all the Electrician has to do is unship the cables from the old unit, and connect them in the new one, I think because I am doing all this background work to make the job easy, they think I want it done for a drink, this is not so, I don't mind paying for the day labour (although it won't take that long) but I can't admit to that.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 06:14 PM

My ex H is a heating engineer and plumber and he says that most of the ratings on check a trade people are made up or false anyway..how true that is im not sure but I believe some are total fiction

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top