Join for free
Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2017, 10:24 AM

Re: Peripheral Nuropoathy.

This sounds a more positive start to the year for you Nom, I hope it won't be too long before you begin to feel an improvement.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2017, 10:26 AM

Oh well, you can but try. It did read that excessive booze can reduce the F.A. so you'd better not over indulge for the time being.
Good luck, and I really hope it makes a big difference for you soon.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
No Mups no idea i did ask if i could get it over the counter but GP said it would not be strong enough.
Nom, I had a folic acid deficiency about 18 months ago, so the doc gave me some supplements, I think for about 3 months, and they worked well... as you know I am a type 1 diabetic.
Here are a few foods that may help...
Lentils ( just put a handful in a home made stew, they thicken the gravy up nicely), dried beans and nuts, avacado, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, okra ( also nice in stews, look for recipes on the internet) and citrus fruit or juice ( if you buy the juice make sure it isn't from concentrate, but squeezed).
It also made me feel very tired, so if it was cold I had lots of lentil and bacon soup.
We will have you fit as a fiddle in no time,!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2017, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the replys, i do use lentils twink, also spinach, broccoli, and nuts in my diet, and like yourself have experienced great fatigue. Anything that may improve my condition would be welcome.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Hopefully a useful link for you Nom .....

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...ic-acid-foods/

Sorry but it does mention the dreaded sprouts as well
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Thanks for the replys, i do use lentils twink, also spinach, broccoli, and nuts in my diet, and like yourself have experienced great fatigue. Anything that may improve my condition would be welcome.
Here is an easy recipe to try.
400 grms shin beef or ox cheek, cut into bite size pieces.
I chopped onion
1 litre beef stock.
2 level tblspns plain flour
sliced carrots, or swede
half a cup of lentils.

Cover the beef in flour and brown in oil, in a frying pan. Transfer to a casserole dish. or slow cooker.
Soften the onion , in the same pan, stir in the flour to make a smooth paste ( add more oil if needed) then slowly stir in the stock, bring to the boil and add to the casserole.
add carrots, lentils and as many of these as you want...

broccoli chopped in bite size pieces including the stalk, a cup of frozen peas ( but only add them an hour before the end of cooking), a cup of green beans cut into bite size, 3 sticks of celery cut bite size and chopped cauliflower.( All are high in folic acid)

Season the casserole to your taste ( and you can always add a drop of gravy browning if it looks too pale). Stir it all together and add dried herbs if you like them. then slowly cook at 150 C for about 3 hours ( or all day if you use a slow cooker). Check during cooking to make sure it doesn't dry, and if you think it will just add a little boiled water.
You can serve it in a bowl and freeze the rest for another meal when it cools.
If you like pickled beetroot ( also high in folates) or red cabbage, you can put some on the top.
This type of meal is the easiest way to keep your folic acid intake higher.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2017, 02:14 PM

Sounds hopeful Nom, I hope it all goes well for you!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2017, 03:36 PM

Ta folks, suggested time to take these is 4 months, i already use about half of the ingredients suggested, but probably not enough of the green leafy vegetables, so may alter my diet.

May well be down to Malabsorption Syndrome, and Metformin which is supposed to affect folic acid, time will tell.

So it may take time before im aware of any changes to my system.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

21-01-2017, 04:05 PM

Nom I used to eat very few peas, but now I have them 3 times a week and I can honestly say that, after being diagnosed with a folic acid deficiency 18 months ago and eating more peas, I have noticed considerable improvement in my tiredness over the last year. You will get there in the end, shame you aren't closer or you could have joined me for dinner as I am having my beef stew tonight... with lots folic acid veg.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 09:39 AM

Nom, how re you getting on with the meds for the folic acid problem?
Do you think it has helped, do you feel any better?

Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top