Join for free
Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 12:01 AM

Re: You Can Tell It's Autumn Because......

Originally Posted by Beautiful Filly ->
Well, it's not really Autumn yet...but the nights are cooler for sleeping...and, that works for me.
Just arrived at our cottage in Maine, a bit east but not too far below you, and the night time temp is expected to dip to the high 40's (F) over the next couple of nights. Today's high was a bit over 60F. A real relief from our recent heat and humidity.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Oh! It's sideways
That's OK Rhian. I looked at it while stretched out on my side on the couch getting ready for a nap.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 11:18 AM

There's a bit of a breeze outside this morning and the big tree on the other side of the road is shedding leaves at an alarming rate!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
There's a bit of a breeze outside this morning and the big tree on the other side of the road is shedding leaves at an alarming rate!

Well if you will live 'out in the sticks' one must expect these things.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Very early morning is best part of the day and you can see things that are usually gone by the normal waking time so as a dedicated runner...do you not have running snow shoes for winter ....or do you just need an excuse for a jolly abroad..
As you can see Solo, I've never had a problem with running in the snow but the older I get, the colder the winters seem.....
Snow isn't too bad really, it's when the country roads are like glass with the remnants of frozen Ice, and the mornings are the worst. Sometimes it's all gone by lunchtime, but I'm a stickler for going out early, and I can't eat anything until I've been.....

rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 01:42 PM

....because I've started using my slow cooker again.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 01:45 PM

Autumn starts officially on Sunday September 23rd.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 02:02 PM

The changing colours in our garden...

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Autumn starts officially on Sunday September 23rd.
Meteorological Autumn starts on Ist Of September.

When does autumn start?

When is the first day of autumn? It depends on whether you are referring to the astronomical or meteorological autumn.

We often talk about it beginning to feel like autumn when the nights start to draw in and temperatures start feeling cooler.

There are two separate dates which could be said to mark the start of autumn in calendars. One is defined by the Earth's axis and orbit around the sun and the second is a fixed date which is used by meteorologists for consistent spacing and lengths of the seasons.
Meteorological season

The meteorological autumn began on 01 September 2017 and ends on 30 November 2017.

The meteorological seasons consists of splitting the seasons into four periods made up of three months each. These seasons are split to coincide with our Gregorian calendar making it easier for meteorological observing and forecasting to compare seasonal and monthly statistics. By the meteorological calendar, the first day of autumn is the 1 September.

The seasons are defined as Spring (March, April, May), Summer (June, July, August), Autumn (September, October, November) and Winter (December, January, February).
Astronomical season

This astronomical autumn began on 22 September 2017 and ends on 21 December 2017.

The astronomical calendar determines the seasons due to the 23.5 degree tilt of the Earth's rotational axis in relation to its orbit around the sun. Both equinoxes and solstices are related to the Earth's orbit around the sun.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
As you can see Solo, I've never had a problem with running in the snow but the older I get, the colder the winters seem.....
Snow isn't too bad really, it's when the country roads are like glass with the remnants of frozen Ice, and the mornings are the worst. Sometimes it's all gone by lunchtime, but I'm a stickler for going out early, and I can't eat anything until I've been.....
I used to run in snow and loved that muffled sound you got so that is why I was interested, so thank for answering my questions with good grace

Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top