Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 03:30 PM

Where have they gone ......

Whats happened to 'characters' today ....
If I mention film stars of today, where are the characters.
I could tell them apart years ago not just by looks but by their character. Today - they're all the bloomin same to me. And, there seems to be treands to follow, mutter the lines for a start - Bruce Willis started that one in 'Moonlighting' and Clint Eastwood.... Then - every bloomin actor follows suit ... Fed up with the lot of 'em !
Then theres the comedians - its the trend to shout, does this make them funny, do we feel compelled to laugh - NO !
Rant over .....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 03:37 PM

Re: Where have they gone ......

We only go to the flicks about once every 2 years so I can't comment, but I do agree about the comedians - bring back Tommy Cooper !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Agree - and Morecambe & Wise please ......
I liked Bob Hope in the old movies too, sure to make me laugh but, wasn't so keen on his stand up routine ...
Danny Kaye - very clever and imaginative .....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 04:12 PM

Buster Keaton,
Harold Lloyd,
The crazy Gang,
Flanders & Swann,
Willy Rushton,
John Cleese,
The Two Ronnies,
John Bird & John Fortune
Rory Bremner
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-06-2013, 04:16 PM

Some good 'uns there Joe ....dont forget 'Manuel' .....
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Good chacator actors have all gone, Edward G Robinson, Alec Guiness, Charles Lawton, Lawrence Olivier, Sidney Greenstreet,
George Raft, I could go on but I will give someone else a chance.
I have got it Peter Lorre, all the greats have gone and left us .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-06-2013, 04:55 PM

This is my point Arfa, not just good actors but, they could talk and be entertaining 'off' the film set ... Now we have 'blobs' thats how I see them, the likes of Cagney, Jimmy Stewart - I could go on for reams, we will never see the like again - so sad ....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2013, 05:25 PM

I used to love the hellraisers of the show busiiness world, Errol Flynn, the Rat Pack, Richard Harris and Burton, Lee Marvin (I had a drink with him years ago when he was in Dublin, a real man's man), Oliver Reed and Trevor Howard. Most of the 'Stars' of today are too correct and nice, full of their own importance, in short a boring lot. True enough the old ones are all dead now, some prematurely, but they knew how to have a good time when they were alive, bless them all.
Just thinking about Roy Rogers, he didn't smoke or drink, always immaculately dressed and spotlessly clean, he never shot dead any baddies and he sang love songs to women, what kind or a cowboy was that!.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-06-2013, 05:27 PM

Mmmm - hardly John Wayne was he - nice smile though and - he loved that horse !!
Errol Flynn yes ......and Gregory Peck in 'The Big Country' - loverly ....
Duckie
Australia
Duckie is male  Duckie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2013, 08:58 AM

nostalgia thread OK

john cleese and Ronnie barker were my two favourite comedians...

I think cleese captured frustration, anger and insecurity brilliantly in Fawlty Towers
Barker in porridge...brilliant as well

Steptoe and son...no that was too tragic to be funny, just depressing same as till death to us part with alf garnett
what about Marty Feldman?
I liked henry fonda in 12 angry men
paul neuman in that elia Kazan movie
alec guiness in bridge over the river kwai

big fan of deniro/Jeremy irons in the mission circa 1985

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top