Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Re: Stuart Hall sentence

Originally Posted by mothballs ->
But if he dies too soon .... in jail or not ... all the compensation claims might not go through quite so smoothly.
Oh! yes they will, his estate would be held in obeisance, till court cases have all been dealt with.
Saville's estate has been held up till every claim is met.
The worst punishment is that he has gone, from the top to the gutter overnight.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mothballs ->
It's neither solely about justice or solely about compensation.

All this started with a witch hunt after a dead man who could not be prosecuted. Jimmy Savile. Who could not be proven guilty ... or innocent.

It's a farce. Stuart Hall's court case has been a farce and I'm sure all the other 'celebrities' facing criminal prosecution will provide the media with more courtroom farces ... that the media will relish.

The whole issue of historic sex allegations leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.
Why didn't any of these victims come forward 10, 20, 30 or 40 years ago.
Some were probably genuine victims.
Some have since decided they were victims .. probably when a lawyer whispered the word compensation in their ear. Some were in all probability a grope or a quick fondle.
How do they prove it now beyond all reasonable doubt? There is no DNA samples. No crime scene to investigate. No Doctor's medical examination.
It is the alleged victim's word against the accused.

Of course ... it helps speeds the legal process if the accused pleads guilty.

Stuart Hall initially denied all the allegations. He later pleaded guilty ... except to a charge of rape which the police decided not to pursue ... but keep on file.
Surely the police should have tried to nail him for the greatest crime of the lot? That would have been justice.

I'm not saying he is innocent. Afterall, he has said he is guilty.
I'm suspicious that deals have been done ... or the guy didn't want all the hassle and took the easier option.
I think it stinks fouler than an old fishy kipper.

So ... some will see it as a farce like I do .. and others will see it as a farcical sentence of 15 months.
So you see it as a farce - you have obviously 'not' been a victim ! Otherwise you would not make such a 'crass' statement as to why - did they not come forward sooner !
You know 'not' what you are talking about - so your opinion means zilch to me - and the victims .....
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

18-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Sorry to see you think my opinion is crass ... and worth zilch.
It is nevertheless a valid opinion and I stand by it.

I'm not doubting there are some genuine victims in there ... along with a load jumping on the bandwagon.
It's been mentioned on this thread that no prosecution for the actual rape was pursued ... because evidence is hard to produce in historic cases. Which was my point. It's got to incredibly hard to prove a chaps guilt beyond all reasonable doubt.
We also read last night that compensation lawyers acting for the victims got three new clients. Make of that what you will.

That is why I call it a farce.

Do you honestly think any of these court cases are going to be able to determine the actual, factual truth after all this time? The true numbers? The true extent of whether an offence was an opportunistic grope or a full fledged menacing or intimidating sexual assault.

As to your assumption that I have never been sexually abused.
True.
All I claim was an invasive though thorough grope around my nether regions in a department store during the crush of the January Sales ... aged 14 or 15. I identified the likely culprit and stood on his foot in my 5 inch heel boots and ground my heel in. Hard! The victim glared at me but said nothing and limped off.
It did not scar me for 30 years .. and I didn't report it. People didn't bother so much in days gone back.
If he had been a celebrity by now . .. could or should I report it to the police? My bank account is rather low in funds.

Or there was the time when my own brother pestered me to go to bed with him. This lasted for a period of nearly 12 months. Complete with opportunistic fumbles ... all under the guise of a brotherly tickle and hug. His objective, as he said .. was to help me overcome my shyness about losing my virginity and all I had to do was get undressed and get into bed and wait for him and we could just lie there, presumably like corpses on a slab.
Yes .. well .. even at age 15 I did not have a cabbage for a head.
I told him to stop pestering. I told my widowed mother who was absolutely shamed/embarrassed and horrified and who then refused to discuss it and I suspect even believe it of her eldest son (10 years my senior). It caused that much atmosphere and grief at home I said nothing more. I warned my brother I would go to the police. His attentions waned after that ... until when I got a boyfriend ... my brother even asked me if I'd like a threesome!
I left home. I didn't bother telling my mum.
End of.
It did not ruin my life and I have been able to enjoy happy relationships. Though I admit I spat on his grave when he died.

So as you see ... degree is all.
Am I saying any girl who was assaulted 20, 30 or 40 years ago should not feel she should have justice?
No.
I just think had they really wanted it they should have pursued the matter then or at any time in the following 20, 30 or 40 years when they've suffered emotional or psychological problems or felt their life has been ruined by this incident in the past.
And more importantly ... people like me would not feel their claims were open to doubt or interpretation of the Law.

Or put another way ...
If a young girl ran up to me in the street ... now ... and said she'd been assaulted I'd accompany her to the police station.
If a young girl ran up to me and said .. it happened 6 months to 2 years ago ... but she'd been afraid to report it .. I'd ask why? But accompany her to the police station.
If a middle aged woman said to me ... it happened 30 years ago .. I'd say .. that must have been terrible .. why didn't you report it ... and probably leave it at that if she said ... he put a hand up my skirt ... or fondled my breast and if she said .. no, it was rape ... I'd say to her ..then you should have shouted it from the rooftops or told the press no matter who the guy was.
Which doesn't mean I don't have sympathy for them. I'm just been realistic.

Determining the extend and severity of historic sex allegations stink.
If that is a crass opinion ... I still stand by it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 10:51 AM

Sorry to say I could only stand the opening couple of paragraphs, up to.... It didn't scar me for 30 years ... people didn't bother so much in those days, and your bank balance quip ... That was enough for me - not worth my 'bother' in responding to such incredulous remarks, you may have reverted to common sense as your post went on - I will never know....
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

18-06-2013, 10:55 AM

You find my remarks incredulous so don't bother to read them?
Now that's strange.
Especially as we are discussing women making allegations or making claims from years back and trying to determine whether they are true or not ... in a more serious court of Law where people's reputations are at stake.
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

18-06-2013, 11:01 AM

I'll ignore your dismissive contempt and rudeness as it's not relevant to the topic.

I'm genuinely curious.
Should this extend to other areas of historic abuse?

For example ...
Woman regularly beaten by husband.
Too frightened to report him to the police at the time and so opted instead for all available support groups and a woman's refuge.
Gets divorce.
20 or more years later , now safe and secure in her life she feels confident enough to make a historic accusation and reports all the beatings she received and wants justice.

No DNA. No doctors reports.
Her word against his.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Now now ladies, play nicely...............
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 01:03 PM

I can't understand why anyone would be so dismissive about the people who have complained about these opportunistic men. You would think it was the fault of the victims and not the perpetrators of these crimes. It's a classic isn't it.
Mothballs, you are trying to dumb down the nature of these crimes.

I'm sure that the police interrogators will have enough experience to sort the wheat from the chaff. I'm sure they are discerning enough to see through a gold digger.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-06-2013, 01:28 PM

Yes - at last doing their job 'properly and thoroughly'
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Well, I'm going to agree with much of what Mothballs says.

This seems to be very much of a witch hunt against almost anyone who was in the public eye. While I utterly condem what Stuart Hall was alledged to have done, there seems to be a almost a cry going out for revenge rather than justice.

I wonder just what is a reasonable punishment for an 83 year old man who committed indecent acts 30 or 40 years ago - but were either not reported or investigated than?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top