Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 09:01 AM

Re: Stunned

I think if you have loved where you currently live and put a lot of time and effort into caring for it nothing will ever match up. You have to start again and begin getting another into the state yours is in and it can be done but the love you have for your current house may never happen again as you have so many memories tied up in it.

I know it's fashionable these days to see property as investments and have no attachment to them but if you have seen it as a home rather than an investment and that sounds like you Steve, then it's not possible to feel the same about another house until you have put your stamp on it too.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Until you start looking it's hard to imagine how difficult it is to find a property to match your desired critetia, the right type of property, in the right condition, in the right place and for the right money is almost impossible. There will invariably be compromises to make and I can't tell you how many times we said sod it, we'll stay where we are and how quickly excitement turned to despair but remember there is one out there for you, it's only a matter of finding it.

So best of luck with the bungalow...
Bungalow came up more than we can go to but apparently it needs lots of work plantman.

It just wasn't to be!

Oh well, "our" new home's out there somewhere! stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 07:13 PM

My wife's had a go at our agent about the poor standard of houses he seems to be expecting us to be enthusiastic about!

She's right and we are looking ourselves but he's thinking in terms of securing the fee for the sale of our house more than us finding something, no matter what he actually promised.

He rang while we were out shopping about the bungalow, urging us to make an offer.

The nearest we could go to is £25,000 under the asking price and although it needs a lot of work we couldn't afford that on top of what we could offer but he doesn't seem to appreciate that.

Our income excludes us from any loans as we can't afford that so we will carry on looking and hoping.

There's another possibility he might have though but it is shared ownership, which we are not keen on, but could work out for us if we had enough to put away again should we need it in the future.

We don't know for certain at this stage but I do know that all the shared ownership properties are 80% with 20% rental.

We could cover the rent as long as we could retain a significant amount of cash and add that to our investment savings to cover ourselves in the future.

Without beating about the bush, I mean if one of us dies.

We've talked about this and decided that we'd be interested only if it does not leave one of us struggling and unfortunately it would be me worse off as my Private Pension is Final Salary and my wife would get 60% of that for life with regular increases.

Her Private Pension expires if she dies hence all the calculating!

Anyway, I will keep in touch for those that might be intersted. stevmk2
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 07:58 AM

Why do you want to move Steve?
Is it necessary ?
We've thought of moving many times to have a bit more storage space and perhaps a bigger garden but we have never been able to find a suitable property that we like more than the one we have .... so far !
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 10:00 AM

Steve you can always pull out.
It looks to me as though you might've been a bit hasty.
Maybe you need more time?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 10:06 AM

Something as major as a house move cannot be rushed especially if you have reached 'a certain time in life' is can bring on a lot of stress-related problems.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Steve, be very wary of shared ownership property! In my case, I had to pay the legal fees of the housing association, as well as my own, and this will apply in ANY transaction: staircasing to another share, lease extension, selling (and they take their cut from the sale too).

Also I pay service charges.

So do look at any hidden charges and ASK ASK ASK!!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2015, 11:03 AM

I too would be very wary of shared ownership at this time of your life, stevmk2. Why saddle yourself with ongoing costs? Take your time to find what you want. It's out there somewhere.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

14-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Steve, be very wary of shared ownership property! In my case, I had to pay the legal fees of the housing association, as well as my own, and this will apply in ANY transaction: staircasing to another share, lease extension, selling (and they take their cut from the sale too). Also I pay service charges.
So do look at any hidden charges and ASK ASK ASK!!
The development I am thinking about Jazzi - only thinking at the moment is where my former work colleague lived.

He told me all about it as he owned 80% of his bungalow and the service charges seemed pretty cheap to me but we would go into the details before we made any decision as we really aren't that keen on committing to further expense; it's just a possibility we are thinking about.

We are not concerned about leaving anything for the family because, to be honest, all they've have ever really done is tap us for money or help and it continues, even now, when we are on a much lower income than before.

Malcolm, our garden's getting too much for us and our 1926 house has three bedrooms which we really do not need.

We want a smaller home, even garden if it has to be because our limited income becomes a fair bit more limited when I retire, which will be next year.

I can't carry on working much longer as my hearing has almost gone and it's all so stressful for me now.

Even if my Cochlear Implant is fitted soon all I want is time with my wife now - and some peace from the stresses of work.
It's been 50 years and I've had enough of the push & shove. stevmk2
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

14-08-2015, 12:14 PM

My wife is totally deaf too Steve and I am her full time unpaid carer, I do know what you are going through with this stressfull situation.
Deafness affects both people to an equal degree in a close relationship.
As to your move I can only add to the same comments that have been made already....please take your time and only commit to your new property when it is perfect for your needs, you cannot afford to worry about the people you have promised to sell to .... You and your wife must come first !

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top