Join for free
Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 05:26 PM

Re: Smart motorways

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I'd sooner add hours to my journey time than risk life and limb on a smart motorway.
Ditto, if all motorways are to have this technology, avoiding them will be the the only option.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 07:17 PM

There are no more smart motorways to be built, radar cameras that should have been installed to quickly detect a broken down vehicle in a live lane, were only fitted on some motorways, but not all, the refuge areas were supposed to be every 500 meters but many were at 1.5 miles away, some as far apart as 2.5 miles, the transport secretary said he was misled by Highways England in the correct requirements of the program.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
There are no more smart motorways to be built, radar cameras that should have been installed to quickly detect a broken down vehicle in a live lane, were only fitted on some motorways, but not all, the refuge areas were supposed to be every 500 meters but many were at 1.5 miles away, some as far apart as 2.5 miles, the transport secretary said he was misled by Highways England in the correct requirements of the program.
I hope you're right. I read recently that they're planning to extend them!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think that public opinion might just sway that the other way.

After the number of people killed due to this poorly thought-out idea reaches a sufficiently high number, I think all the self-serving lawyers in the country will be overruled.

I think that within another five years (approaching the next GE), the number of deaths on smart motoways will have risen to such numbers that the next election could well be fought on this matter as much as any other.

Changes will then take place and inside lanes will be restored to hard shoulders. Just a pity that so many people have to die unnecessarily in the meantime.
The law can not be retrospectively changed simply by public sentiment.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The law can not be retrospectively changed simply by public sentiment.
It can if the party in government is afraid of losing the next general election!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 08:39 PM

It can if the party in government is afraid of losing the next general election!
Very true but I can't see enough pressure from the great unwashed to be anywhere big enough to be a threat.

BREXIT was a unique case.

While on the subject of BREXIT I see that a guy by the name of Dominic Frisby has published a song for BREXIT to the tune of Widecombe Fair (Old Uncle Tom Cobley an' All) - tad rude but very telling!

Worth a Google.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-01-2020, 09:02 PM

Very true but I can't see enough pressure from the great unwashed to be anywhere big enough to be a threat.
So it is only the 'great unwashed' who drive on motorways?
I learn something new every day!

While on the subject of BREXIT I see that a guy by the name of Dominic Frisby has published a song for BREXIT to the tune of Widecombe Fair (Old Uncle Tom Cobley an' All) - tad rude but very telling!
Yes. Heard it. It is very pertinent today and, incidentally, a nice tune.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

30-01-2020, 09:18 PM

So it is only the 'great unwashed' who drive on motorways?
I learn something new every day!
I really must remember that what might be ok in my past isn't ok now.

I should have written "vox populi"

Sorry, my bad (as my grand son says!)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-01-2020, 09:44 PM

I really must remember that what might be ok in my past isn't ok now.

I should have written "vox populi"

Sorry, my bad (as my grand son says!)
Oh, that's OK. I'm one of the great unwashed and I'm not offended!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 10:15 PM

If it's called 'Smart' 'Eco' 'Energy Saving' 'Environmentally Friendly' 'Sustainable' it must be good....Right?

Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top