Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Deme
New Member!
United Kingdom
Deme is male 

31-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Re: Ketogenic Diet

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I had never heard of this one before - but a friend of mine has just been put on it by the pre-diabetic team. She is clinically/morbidly obese tipping the scales at 26stone and being only 5ft 2in in height.

This diet involves cutting down carbs but, as she is so obese, she has been advised to cut them out all together!

She is not currently allowed any carbs, dairy, fats or eggs, and is living on just meat, fish, fruit and veg. She has lost 1 stone in 3 weeks but, as a side effect, has developed "Keto Flu" which will apparently go in a week or so.

I really don't understand how forcing the body into a state of Ketosis can possibly be regarded as healthy. Some of the other side effects as:-

Bad breath - at the moment she could fell an ox from 100ft.
Fatigue.
Constipation
Insomnia

She was trying to persuade me to join her in this torture - I did put on a bit of weight while wrestling with 'thing' - but I prefer to give it a miss. Instead I have reduced my portion sizes, cut out snacks and am exercising again - lost half a stone in three weeks.

Opinions on the 'Keto Diet'? has anyone tried it?
Back to the original post question;

I'm 59 - always trained (numerous sports always combined with power lifting) I was always been prone to putting on weight but just used it as a method to build muscle and relax for a few months.

Ive lost weight a few times - always successfully and often kept it off for years - it's actually easier as you get older to keep weight off I find.

I usually lose weight through calorie control - mostly by reducing carbs. Whatever weight I am I ALWAYS weightlift in the gym 3 times a week minimum as I have for 40 odd years. As an example, I deadlift about 150kg for reps. If you ignore the first month of a diet (strange things happen and any weight loss tends to be artificial) I found that I lose about ONE POUND A WEEK over eight or nine months.

After a bout of injury and domestic mess I put on 35 pounds at 58 years old. As I had recurring gout issues and a dodgy knee I thought I 'd give keto a try. I aimed for less than 20g of carbs a day for six months. I often was at the 15g level. There were no cheat days.

My findings

1] I always had a metallic taste in my mouth like I'd been sucking a copper penny. This, as much as anything, put me off food.
2] About month three I really, really missed apples and fruit. This became a real challenge.
3] I like whiskey and gin. These, you can consume as much as you like. Unfortunately the metallic taste kind of removes any pleasure.
4] You need less toilet paper
5]My strength in the gym was fine. Didn't feel weak really. My lifts were pretty much the same.
6]Cardio was ok too.

Keto is a really hard diet mentally. I am ok at losing weight and I found it hard mentally. I think the gout was improved. The diet did nothing for a torn ACL.

The bottom line: I log everything and have years of past logs. On close analysis over four key months (i.e not including the starting month weight loss) I averaged losing ONE POUND A WEEK.

If I had seen radical improvements in joint issues then I would return to keto - but I didn't. The rate of weight loss is no different from a good calorie-controlled balanced diet. The mental challenge I believe will see most people fail on this diet. The diet is really limited but perfectly functional.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 08:43 PM

I am on day 37 of living the Keto eating lifestyle. I decided not to weigh myself yet but today I put on a pair of jeans I havent been able to get into for about a year. Last time I tried to wear them the waist buttonhole was about four inches away from fastening, today they fastened easily. I am able to walk for exercise and havent been forced to use my ventolin inhalor to keep breathing for ages. My blood sugars I measure every morning I managed to get down to 4.5.
At the moment I am feeling a lot healthier and a great deal happier.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2019, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I am on day 37 of living the Keto eating lifestyle. I decided not to weigh myself yet but today I put on a pair of jeans I havent been able to get into for about a year. Last time I tried to wear them the waist buttonhole was about four inches away from fastening, today they fastened easily. I am able to walk for exercise and havent been forced to use my ventolin inhalor to keep breathing for ages. My blood sugars I measure every morning I managed to get down to 4.5.
It's good to see you here, Monday's Child and I'm pleased your health has improved.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Hi MC, Good to see you back again. I tried this type of diet a while ago (see post 8) but had to stop as I just couldn't cope with the knawing hunger pangs. How do you deal with them?
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Hi MC, Good to see you back again. I tried this type of diet a while ago (see post 8) but had to stop as I just couldn't cope with the knawing hunger pangs. How do you deal with them?
Hi Roxy.
I first tried the old cabbage soup diet for two weeks. Yes I know they only recommend living on Cabbage soup for 1 week so thats probably why I nearly threw the freezer full of frozen cabbge soup through the kitchen window when I had enough. Its awful stuff after just three days.

Thats when I tried Keto. I find its not easy. My macros worked out to be 20g Carbs, 103g Protein and 163g of Fat per day. Some days I get nowhere near these totals and do feel hungry, and twice now I have fell off the Keto wagon badly, like last night, I had a Takeaway Burger and a bottle of wine. The burger was probably mostly keto but the bun certainlywasnt, as for the wine I noticed that the date on the bottle was 2017 so I only drank it incase it might go off soon with being so old.

Never mind, I know the Keto works for me and Im back on the wagon today but both times I have fallen I noticed the next day I didnt feel good so Im putting the Keto down to making me feel healthier than when I am off it

I have a chart of the Net Carbs of foods so I go by that. I weigh everything I eat and work out the macros for every meal. I measure my blood sugars every morning. This is all kept in a diary.
I must admit Im a bit fanatical about it now as I made up an excuse when asked out for a meal by someone and also an outing to a micro brewery pub on another night.
I dont think of it as a diet but as a way of life at the moment.
Siskero
New Member!
Kent, UK
Siskero is male 

12-12-2019, 12:51 PM

I believe that's the right approach. And a more long-term one as well. I should keep a meal diary as well like that, honestly.
dav92g
New Member!
USA
dav92g is male 

15-02-2021, 08:32 AM

Keto is not suitable for everyone, although it seems that there is nothing special about it. Your body needs proteins, fats, and carbohydrates to function properly. You could be hurting yourself. The best and safest way to lose weight is through a calorie deficit and exercise.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 10:18 AM

Did anyone watch ' the men who man us thin'? It was a 4 part docu series.

When the guy from weight watchers was challenged that only 16% of people managed to follow the diet and maintain that weight loss after 4 years meaning WW was a failure.
He countered with the fact that it was a success because 84% gained back the weight so they would be return customers!

All these fads are just that, and our expectations are often set by people with profit to gain from our failure.

I have Graves disease I gained a lot of weight after radioactive therapy.
But my sugar my cholesterol and BP etc are better than most 20 year old and thats what the doc told me...
When my OH had a heart attack we went on a reduced fat, redcued meat, reduced carbs diet prescibed by the hospital , he lost 6 kilos I didnt loose an ounce. Yet I was working and moving much more than him.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 12:22 PM

I have a friend who swears by the Keto diet, she's lost a good amount of weight on it. She is the only one I know who has tried it.

I am living proof that the best way to lose weight and keep it off is by changing your whole lifestyle and don't adopt a 'fad diet' adopt a way of eating healthily for life and exercising. I eat a raw food diet, things that grow from trees and the ground, lentils, pulses, grains, seeds, nuts, cheeses, eggs, lean meat.

I changed my eating habits 3 years ago and I have lost a tremendous amount of weight and kept it off. My pallette changed too.
If there is something I fancy like a sweet, I eat it, I don't deprive myself but I don't put out a huge portion, just a small portion and I'm satisfied. I will say however, I don't eat much sweet things, I prefer to fill up on savoury.

Over the years I tried every 'diet' in the book and the only thing that works for me personally is to adopt a healthy eating lifestyle. I enjoy everything I eat
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by lion queen ->
i have a friend who swears by the keto diet, she's lost a good amount of weight on it. She is the only one i know who has tried it.

i am living proof that the best way to lose weight and keep it off is by changing your whole lifestyle and don't adopt a 'fad diet' adopt a way of eating healthily for life and exercising. I eat a raw food diet, things that grow from trees and the ground, lentils, pulses, grains, seeds, nuts, cheeses, eggs, lean meat.

i changed my eating habits 3 years ago and i have lost a tremendous amount of weight and kept it off. My pallette changed too.
If there is something i fancy like a sweet, i eat it, i don't deprive myself but i don't put out a huge portion, just a small portion and i'm satisfied. I will say however, i don't eat much sweet things, i prefer to fill up on savoury.

Over the years i tried every 'diet' in the book and the only thing that works for me personally is to adopt a healthy eating lifestyle. I enjoy everything i eat

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top