Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 10:32 AM

Re: Modern Cars.

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
No, they use special stop/start batteries. A quick check on Haldords website lists a regular 096 battery at £92 and a stop/start 096 at £157.

That is rather what I expected. No doubt it is not possible to change the batteries over either, that will require a 'special' procedure to reset the computer or something similar.

There's no doubt about it, the modern cars may be better in a lot of respects but they are also being used as 'cash cows' by the manufacturers and main dealers. My local VW dealer is now charging around £100 an hour for labour!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
That is rather what I expected. No doubt it is not possible to change the batteries over either, that will require a 'special' procedure to reset the computer or something similar.

There's no doubt about it, the modern cars may be better in a lot of respects but they are also being used as 'cash cows' by the manufacturers and main dealers. My local VW dealer is now charging around £100 an hour for labour!
Ours is serviced by them whilst under warranty. After that, it will be our local garage.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
AFAIK, cars with Stop/Start systems just use "regular" batteries.
No, they use special stop/start batteries. A quick check on Haldords website lists a regular 096 battery at £92 and a stop/start 096 at £157.
Thanks for the update .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:39 AM

So electric cars will be silent? Oh dear, that might be a problem for some...eg. Cars coming around blind corners when you’re crossing the road.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:43 AM

A lot of vehicle noise actually comes from the tyres but at low speed they would be virtually silent.

Info about batteries here

https://batteryworld.varta-automotiv...ery-start-stop
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:54 AM

A lot of vehicle noise actually comes from the tyres but at low speed they would be virtually silent.
Very true. Whenever cars pass along our road, all I hear is tyre noise.

Except, of course, for the occasional infantile boy racer who believes that revving his engine to destruction (assuming that he is actually driving his own car ) lends him an impressively, if undeserved, powerful personality!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ours is serviced by them whilst under warranty. After that, it will be our local garage.
That will be my choice from next year. The last service was advised as going to cost me £179, then I received a telephone call to say that as the car was five years' old the timing belt would need replacing – £479, and then I was advised the brake fluid needed changing, another £64.

So a five-year-old car having done just 16,000 miles needed to £722 spent on it! I hadn't even replaced a tyre on it then, and last week the two front tyres were replaced by the local garage, far less than the price VW dealer quoted me!

I enquired at the local garage about the cost of replacing the timing belt – £350, that will be done after Christmas and the next service and MoT will be booked with them too.

The labour charge at the local garage is £50 an hour, their mechanics are all time-served mechanics. Their courtesy cars are part of the service. The VW dealer charges £15 to have your name put on the courtesy car insurance, they charge almost £100 an hour – need I say more!

The local garage also doesn't need to advertise, their work is all by word of mouth and they are always very busy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 06:53 PM

Once again the public have to pay to save the planet.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
So electric cars will be silent? Oh dear, that might be a problem for some...eg. Cars coming around blind corners when you’re crossing the road.
I have seen a few electric cars in our car park and their silence is a bit eerie tbh.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-12-2019, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Very true. Whenever cars pass along our road, all I hear is tyre noise.

Except, of course, for the occasional infantile boy racer who believes that revving his engine to destruction (assuming that he is actually driving his own car ) lends him an impressively, if undeserved, powerful personality!
Don'tcha just love 'em?

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top