Join for free
Page 225 of 370 « First < 125 175 215 223 224 225 226 227 235 275 325 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 12:12 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

All our leaves have long since deserted their host Surfermom, and now adorn the ground in a sort of 'Mush' obscuring uneven surfaces, puddles and other undesirable deposits.... The Acorns have long since been Squirrelled away.

It wasn't just my heart that sank this morning as I led out for my long Sunday run in pitch dark and torrential rain. Again! I decided the six mile road course would be sufficient today (Must be getting soft!) and it was a six mile long puddle....

With no let up in the rain I slopped and splashed my way round and finished in a not too shabby time. Surprisingly, when I removed my hooded running top my tee shirt was completely dry, and just the bottom edge of my shorts held the damp. However, it will take at least twenty four hours to dry out my shoes....Legs......Pink and glowing...

If I had declined to run in the rain, I would have missed my last three runs, and at sixty eight long breaks from running are to be avoided....And the warmth and comfort of home seems even more rewarding after an invigorating and testing venture out into nature....So glad I went...

That just leaves four more runs until the end of the year, and nature will have to produce something apocalyptic to keep me from spoiling my record sheet...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 04:20 AM

OGF, it seems like just last year that we were racing to the year-end finish line.

[/URL]

Even though my yearly goal is enough inspiration to push right to the end, the truth is I run so as not to have to turn down all those holiday delicacies. I suspect that behind every remotely fit runner is someone who adores eating.

And so it was with a dish of chocolate truffles trying to seduce me on the foyer table that I laced up my shoes and once again headed off for a five miler. As I am afraid that someone might want to off my head with a report that it was 21 degrees with the sun shining, we'll skip right past that, but the conditions were ripe for a healthy run at a rewarding pace. With everyone else on the planet out shopping, I seemingly had the world to myself.

5.25 miles, 2 chocolates. Life is good. And delicious.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 05:42 PM

LOLOL! You're both bonkers with your galloping adventures. In the red corner there's Bob with his new trainers(?)
and over in the blue corner Suzie is tackling the onset of a Florida Autumn
But it's always nice to know there's some healthy camaraderie going on with the both of you

Great fun to read as always and well done on your performance over the past few days and here's to more running stories
Oh by the way, Suzie...did you get your truffles as a reward after your run today?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 06:41 PM

Christmas Training Programme. Days 3&5*
Monday 24/12/18: Strength session / Intensive fixed weight session
2hr. 15mins.
(All weights in kilos)

Lagging behind with my plans re the gym, today I made a concerted effort to try and catch up with some of the workouts I’ve had to miss. Why oh why did I decide to begin an elaborate set of plans right on Christmas? It was never going to work was it?

It’s not the fact that I’ve been in any way lazy. On the contrary, I’ve been flying around town getting last minute presents, visits, assembling three kids’ pushbikes (not to mention trying to wrap them too!) and of course my obligatory Saturday afternoon out with my mates, which was a boozy affair if there ever was one, so yesterday’s plans went right out of the window!

But I am super-determined to complete my “9-day training plan”, though it will finish a bit later than anticipated, which in effect doesn’t matter too much as the rest does the muscles good, so I’m not that bothered. However, in amongst all of this I’ve had to juggle around my sessions a little. The cardio sessions for example haven’t taken place at all yet, so there will be two in a row at some point hopefully next week. Without boring you further and trying to explain it, today I did Day#3 and Day#5 which enabled me to do a full-on heavy and intensively lengthy session to really test my strength, stamina and endurance.

Splitting the session into those aforementioned two “Days”, here’s the fruits of my labour:

PART ONE: Day 3; Heavy strength session
[As many sets as possible with increasing weights up to a maximum lift. Low, slow reps]

DB bench press (two dumbbells, one each hand, lifting on 15% incline bench):
10x22, 8x24, 6x26, 6x28, 6x30
6x32, 4x34, 4x34
*Tried lifting the 36kg weights but my triceps were feeling the strain after so many sets, so with the need to need them again later on I left it at the 68kg total lift.

Smith flat bench press:
6x50, 6x60, 3x70, 3x70, 3x70
3x70, 3x70
*Resisting the temptation to go heavier than a nice rounded 70kg in order to do as many slow and controlled sets as possible.

E-Z curl, seated preacher bench:
12x28, 8x38, 6x43, 6x48, 6x53
4x58, 2x63 PB
*This was some extremely taxing work on the biceps. Lifting the final 63kg (or 63 bags of Tate+Lyle sugar) just by using the biceps is some feat and it’s nice to know I’ve lifted a personal best with that today, those guns bursting out like cannonballs. As usual, a couple of younger lads were watching this and to vent my pleasure at lifting my max I asked them if they needed to bar dismantling when I had finished. Funny how they tend not to speak to your face but talk to your biceps instead lol.

Oddly enough though my arms were still ready for more, so I added a different exercise on the same apparatus: A single dumbbell but going as heavy as possible.

DB curl, seated on preacher bench:
5x16, 5x18, 5x20, 5x22, 4x24
3x26
*Again, a one-arm bicep curl of 26kg isn’t bad really is it?

To give my arms a rest I did a quick unplanned few sets on the legs…

Sled press:
12x150, 12x170, 12x190, 8x200, 8x200
8x200, 8x200, 8x200, 8x200, 12x200
*That was interesting. Using the same procedure as the upper body exercises above, I managed a full 10 sets on the sled press – the 200kg on seven sets because that is the maximum the machine will reach. Felt good.

Fly delt dec:
12x80, 12x80, 8x95, 8x102,5, 8x110
8x117.5, 6x125, 6x132.5
*Now this really was lifting to the extreme. Never before have I managed that kind of weight just by using the deltoid and shoulder muscles, my previous best on this was 110kgs.

Without a break I moved straight into the second routine of the day...

PART TWO: Day 5; Intensive.
[5 sets; 10 reps; fixed, medium weight]

Chest press:
10x80, 10x80, 10x80, 10x80, 10x80

Tricep extensions:
10x50, 10x50, 10x50, 10x50, 10x50

Seated row:
10x59, 10x59, 10x59, 10x59, 10x59

Single DB press:

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:

It was nice to do some back and chest work there too, in fact my arms were shot by this stage and the final planned barbell curl exercises were just too much even with a moderate weight of 30kgs.

I really surprised myself with that little lot. All I can think of is that I’ve had a very good rest away from using the full capacity of my strength and my body somehow unearthed some long forgotten power from my bodybuilding days once again. I was absolutely cream crackered but happy with the fact that at aged 54 I can still lift very heavy (although, yes, that is a pointless exercise at my age to be fair, except for a little inward ego-boosting) and out last everyone else in the gym with the duration of my performance. Nothing to be sniffed at really but it’s also not the sort of session I plan to be doing on a regular basis either.

That’s about it from me until after Christmas when I think my next session will be on Friday when I’ll be itching to get back into things after the Christmas festivities. Cardio will definitely be on the agenda preceded by a full leg workout.

To all of you who have participated in this thread over the past year, thanks for reading and have a fantastic Christmas, your families too.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 08:07 PM

Merry almost Christmas, Floydy! I thought you had been kidnapped by your friends and were being held captive in some dark pub somewhere.

That's quite a day putting two workouts together. Congratulations on that personal best. The bicep work you can do is stunning - no wonder you have the kids around watching like deer in headlights. They have a lot to learn from you about longevity, so I hope you lend advice when they are inclined to listen.

Good luck with your nine day plan! Great job with the animated posts. Too funny!

As soon as the cheesecakes (gifts for neighbors) are out of the oven, I certain someone is taking advantage of the sun shining and calm winds as a pre-emptive strike against all things decadent.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2018, 08:35 PM

Great post and awesome workout Floydy, a very happy Christmas to you and Mrs Floyasaurus....

And a very happy Christmas to you also Surfermom, it's been the ultimate in entertainment to an ageing runner like this Yorkshire Tyke, catching up most days on your exploits under the hot Foridian sun and foaming surf....

A happy Christmas to any other regulars who have lost their way and accidentally wandered in here.....Ruthio, Bratti and Tachyon etc...Luv ya all.....

Business as usual for me in the morning....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

25-12-2018, 01:00 AM

By the time you read this you will be knee deep in wrapping paper and family, OGF, and I hope you all are having a festive go of it! Merry Christmas to the leash of Foxes. You have well-earned however you choose to celebrate, but like me, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without stepping out for a few miles into the cool silence for a round of reflection - if not pure survival on Christmas morn .

See you all after Santa has come and gone. Nary a lump of coal is deserved in the lot! Sincerest wishes for health, happiness, and a merry little Christmas!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

25-12-2018, 09:52 AM

Good morning Surfermom, no presents opened yet...
Took care of business first.
Just got back from a Fast Festive Five in similar conditions you would find in your average freezer. It did look splendid though once the sun came up.....
All the best to all who look in......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2018, 10:06 AM

A very Merry Christmas to all the Keep Fitters on here!

You are allowed a day off today

🌲🌲🌲🎅🏻🌲🌲🌲
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

25-12-2018, 04:51 PM

Oh, thank you Mags! I had hoped for a day off from all the Christmas madness for a nice long run! Not quite what you mean, you say?

It's a bright, shining day on the Florida Gulf Coast and though the water is chilly, the air is warm...and so is the oven. A cheesecake is baking away, while the berries are macerating. Baking is a lot like running; with a little preparation, patience, and a willingness to get a little wet and dirty, the outcome is worth all the trouble.

Did Santa bring anyone any workout gear? A get out of jail free pass? Sunny weather wrapped up in a box tied with a red ribbon?

See you all a few thousand calories later .

Page 225 of 370 « First < 125 175 215 223 224 225 226 227 235 275 325 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top