Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 05:45 PM

Re: washing mangle

My granny had a mangle it was kept in the back garden by the kitchen door she also had a big drum type thing and a posser for churning the laundry. I remember her whites seemed super white to me. She used something called Dolly Blue to whiten them.

Gosh the things you remember
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 05:51 PM

did laugh when i saw this thread -when i was very young 'we had a big mangle in the garden 'turning the big wheel was great fun 'my bro said put ur hand on the roller i want turn it hard -he did OMG screams street heard me - he got a whack and then the mangle vanished -dont remember where 'but big ugly machine but did the trick of drying clothes i know now .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 05:52 PM

I married in 1969 I was doing the washing in the sink by hand until a friend sold me her box type washing machine , the heater had broken so I filled it with hot water from a pan , it had an electric wringer on it , I would pull the mangled clothes out of the machine , push them through the wringer into the sink , rinse them by hand then through the mangle again . It was 5 years before I had another machine
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 07:08 PM

I remember we had a mangle when I was very young. It was kept outside the kitchen door and I used to love turning the handle when it was washing day
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 11:52 PM

I think my mum spent most of Monday doing the washing.
Then she got a twin tub and a whole new world opened up
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 12:03 AM

I remember the mangle in the back yard

When I was really young my nan used to fill the pram with the washing and take it to the public laundry where there were rows of deep sinks and scrubbing boards and electric mangles and big presses

Then mum bought a twin tub. She would start the washing with the whites and work her way down to the socks, then the water was used to wash the floors and door step

I remember the bags of blue as well. They were kept at the side of the till in liptons and if you touched then your fingers were dyed indigo blue
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 09:15 AM

I wish I had kept my Mums old mangle they make good money as trendy garden oranaments !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 09:36 AM

Yes we had a Mangle and Poss Tub.

Greenhorn
England
Greenhorn is male  Greenhorn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Before we had a washing machine we had a 'boiler' for heating up a large amount of water which was then used either for washing by hand or filling up the tin bath for a weekly scrub .... after the washing was done, it was indeed mangled, which I loved doing and sometimes got my fingers pinched ...

We only had an outside toilet as well ... those were the days. Not.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 03:43 PM

My maternal grandmother had a mangle, which a sort of ornament, if I remember rightly. My mother had a washing machine from the start of her marriage in 1947, I believe.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top