Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2012, 07:57 PM

Re: Thought's About The Royal Family.

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I'm a HRH fan as well, God bless her and all that she has done for Great Britain over the last 60 years. The only constant in politics, always on duty and always above reproach. What a fabulous woman. There has, and never will be, a politician that could match her stature on the world stage and it's a shame she isn't running the country, which I'm sure that she could do single handed...

As ever the "republicans" just turn out to be left wing fanatics that are fighting their never ending class war using the politics of spite and envy.

God Bless you Maam....Long Live the Queen..
Well done Plantman, she is indeed a one off and fabulous indeed. I echo your thoughts God Bless the Queen and may she live a lot longer.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I would prefer William!
But that is precisely the point Mags darlin' - you (and indeed every other citizen of the UK) has no say in who will be monarch (or, as I advocate - President) - the choice is entirely that of the Monarch and her children, so whilst you may prefer William, unless Charles abdicates in William's favour, you (and we) will get Charles III and possibly Queen Camilla too)
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2012, 08:47 PM

I've read somewhere that because they have both been married before, Camilla can never be the Queen, it's some sort of royal protocol.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2012, 09:14 PM

I don't think Charles wants to be King anyway - I believe his son William is the one who will be King and that it has already been settled.

I also am all for keeping the monarchy. I think it would be a sad day if we ever have a president in this country. Just look at all the rubbish that is going on in America at the moment and the amount of money being spent on campaigns, etc. etc.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Yes Rena, darlin' - I agree that the American presidential system is also broken, but that doesn't m ean we have to follow THAT example, as I've previously indicated many other EUROPEAN countries have a President (as opposed to a monarch) and their system is fine. Austria & Germany for instance, but there are also many others, France, and Belgium are but two more.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 10:26 AM

Heaven forbid that we should get an undignified little toe-rag like Sarcozy as a president Uncle Joe.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 10:54 AM

I think the present system is a good one - the advantages of a Monarchy (tradition, figurehead, tourism attraction, heritage) without the disadvantages (dabbling in politics).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

02-02-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Heaven forbid that we should get an undignified little toe-rag like Sarcozy as a president Uncle Joe.
I quite agree, but that was the choice of the French people who VOTED for him. At least they had that choice, we don't.

Claire darlin' - our 'Royals' do dabble in politics. Charles has written numerous letters to individual Ministers over the years, as well as seeking and having meetings with some of them. Andrew was appointed by Cameron as 'Special Advisor' and notwithstanding his subsequent dismissal, was at Davos meeting with Cameron et al during the Summit only two weeks ago. So what effect has Charles' letters and meetings with Ministers had on Government policy?? what did Andrew say to Ministers at Davos??? - what effect will that have on forthcoming Government policy??? Why was Andrew at Davos in any effect??? Because of our ridiculous secrecy laws, 'we' are not to be trusted with such information.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

02-02-2012, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=Uncle Joe;168520]I quite agree, but that was the choice of the French people who VOTED for him. At least they had that choice, we don't.

Quite right Uncle Joe - look what we voted for as a Prime Minister. The Royals are a bit different, I think.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

02-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Rena darlin' - again I agree and in due course Cameron will either be voted out of office or he will resign, but one way or another we will not be our Prime Minister PERMANENTLY as opposed to having the Windsor family foisted upon us without our being able to vote for or against them.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top