Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2012, 02:13 AM

Re: Jealous Bandwagoners

Do you mean rich, or wealthy? There's a whole heap of difference there.

Some folk that have gained wealth on the backs of others can look down their noses on those poorer than themselves, but those that are wealthy from birth and have "old money" are wonderful people. It's only people who have inherited from others and become wealthy, also become snobs because of their bank balance, not because they've earned it themselves!

My ex-husband used to work for the Earl of Mulgrave, who owns vast lands and businesses and my ex-hubby lives in Mulgrave Castle, but there was no snobbery between His Grace and my husband, and my hubby calls the Earl by his first name, and vice versa. No snobbery there.

His Grace thinks very highly of his Staff, and they of him, which is a good working relationship and, despite my ex being unable to carry out his duties now, he's still being paid full time until he is ready to draw pension.

I'm talking here now of aristocracy and how they value others, unlike some so-called well-off folk who make mockery of others just because they don't have a big bank balance.

Being rich to me is being healthy, in good spirits, having a good sense of humour, and enjoying the value of life itself, not money.
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2012, 12:49 PM

I don`t understand where you are coming from there Mollie,so people who are wealthy from birth are wonderful peopleand others aren`t .So where did the people wealthy from birth get their money from except by inheritance?
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2012, 12:58 PM

I rather think she`s saying that money isn`t everything. You can be `rich` and not have much money. Depends what you value.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I rather think she`s saying that money isn`t everything. You can be `rich` and not have much money. Depends what you value.
Yes, I also think that is what Mollie is saying.

Having worked in many countries and in many jobs for a large number of organisations, private and public, I think I have come into contact with just about as wide a range of humans as almost anyone.

My experience has been that the aristocracy vary just as much as any other 'group' of people, there are the good reliable and trustworthy (Such as those Mollie mentioned) there are others who I take every opportunity to villify because they have blown their inherited wealth on drugs, and parties such as the late (thankfully) Earl of Bristol, with inherited money comes responsiblity and he had none

Likewise I have also been fortunate to meet a few people who had no wealth, yet were still nice honest and trustworthy, salt of the earth is the phrase which comes to mind. One again there are many in this categary who are not nice, the criminal fraternity is full of such people.

I don't hold the view that 'most people are good' I hold the view that 'most people are not good' but one might be lucky and and meet a few in ones lifetime who are, they maybe aristocracy or they maybe artisans.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2012, 07:59 PM

I don't envy the rich, I pity them!
When 1% of the folk own 40% of the worlds wealth, See this Link
And 420million are chronically poor, of course some are going to be envious.See this Link
Because they are chronically poor they also suffer from sickness.
There is plenty of money in the world to help these poor people, but the rich hoard it and don't put it about a bit.
The rich try as hard as they can to avoid paying for anything, they constantly look for ways through their accountants to avoid paying income tax.
So yes I say folks have the right to envy the rich.
Now obvious there are a few exceptions.

The thread was aimed at left wingers, well I have news for you there are a lot of millionaires left wingers so I don't know why left wingers were targeted it has nothing to do with folks targeting the rich.
As you can see over the last few days some very rich men have felt guilty and given up bonuses, so the left wingers who have protested at St,Paul's etc have proved they were right to protest.

I am comfortable, but I do my bit for charity, and this is what most of the rich don't do.
Even multibillionaires have stated that there is an injustice out there and they should pay more to help out.
But that is the trouble out there, there is too much of "I am alright Jack".
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2012, 08:13 AM

Wow! Reading some of the replies this thread really touched some nerves and it was only meant to stimulate some discussions about what is making the headlines it was not directed at any here it was the Union bosses and MP's I was talking about.. lol

Rena I can honestly say I never coverted other kids toys, we were told what you have is what you keep and nothing will get you other things without earning them.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 12:12 AM

I never give a thought to rich people. It's the poor who I think about and contribute too.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 12:20 PM

I don't think wealth comes into it. You are either a decent person or you aren't. I know people who have little money who look down on people who have even less. Some people have a haughty attitude and it seems to make them feel better about themselves if the can belittle some one else. I have no regard for these kind of people, either rich or poor.

Am I envious of the rich. No, there is not point, I'm never going to be rich. I have as much as I need and that will do for me.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I don't think wealth comes into it. You are either a decent person or you aren't. I know people who have little money who look down on people who have even less. Some people have a haughty attitude and it seems to make them feel better about themselves if the can belittle some one else. I have no regard for these kind of people, either rich or poor.

Am I envious of the rich. No, there is not point, I'm never going to be rich. I have as much as I need and that will do for me.
Good post Mall, hear hear....
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Good post Mall, hear hear....
Thank you.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top