Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Re: Free travel.

I have a car and a bus pass, If I go into Wigan with the car it costs a fortune to park up, so I go on the bus
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2012, 01:20 AM

I agree with you Jimmy. It would cost more to park a car in Wigan than it would be to use petrol to go on a three mile journey, but that isn't the issue here.

Are we talking about being means tested here? If somebody is entitled to a bus pass, then there should be no question of who is or who isn't entitled to one.

Parking in our town, as Jimmy said, is at a total premium, so I don't blame anyone for using their bus pass into town, even if they do have a car.

I use my car specifically to get to work and back where there is no bus route but, if there was, I'd get a bus pass to save on petrol. I also use my car to get my shopping in because otherwise I wouldn't be able to do that so, consider the folk that cannot get to work or shop without the use of a bus pass.

It was a very long hard struggle for me to continue my car purchasing payments after my partner died, but I managed it - just about - same with my mortgage. Not everybody who has a car is minted and, like me, they have to budget for insurance renewal, MOT, maintenance and re-taxing, so it's not just a bowl of cherries owning a car.

I'm afraid I really don't see the argument here.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2012, 05:58 AM

I don't agree with you Mollie!
My parents walked everywhere in their day, and it included carrying their shopping.
You can get most of your shopping on line, and it could be delivered.
I haven't had a car for over 2 years and I don't miss it in the least, and I estimate that I save £2000 per year.
We have become idle and very unfit people because of the car, those that can walk would be a lot better off health wise if they did.
My wife used to push a pram to town with 2 children to do our shopping, and there and back it was 8 mile.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2012, 08:43 AM

I don`t drive. I`ve raised 3 kids, run a business, travelled widely and lived in different parts of the globe.
It is actually possible to survive without a driving licence, you know. Half the people in country don`t have a car.
Bus passes for the elderly are vital. For reasons of health (gets people out) and energy (saves fuel) if nothing else.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2012, 07:16 PM

(quote Wrinkly)

My wife used to push a pram to town with 2 children to do our shopping, and there and back it was 8 mile.

Didn't we all in those days, I love having a car at my disposal I'm far too old to be carrying heavy bags like I use to. It's nice to have a choice, I go on the bus if I'm only going for a walk around and buying bits here and there...love the bus pass it saves the pennies when I go out of town too.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Pip that is exactly the point I was making, we don't have to carry bags at all, we can shop on line.
The car has made us very lazy and that is why we are so unfit.
As we get older our legs are not as good as they used to be, that is why we have been given the bus pass.
I gave my car up just after I was 70 and I find it most convenient to have the bus pass, and I use it daily when I go to the gym, now 74 and I have never been so fit even with RA. and CHD.
I think the establishment are trying to get as many cars off the road they can with all the price increases and now the possibility of toll roads.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2012, 07:54 PM

You've said it all there Wrinkly, you gave up your licence when you turned seventy, because you had to, if you could manage without it why didn't you give it up when you were a lot younger.
It seems to me that because you can't drive now, you want us all to give over.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

20-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Jimmy I can drive now and I still hold a clean licence.
I chose to give it up because it was stressful and the fact too many vehicles on the road, and for exactly the same reason others have mentioned lack of parking and the cost.
As well as ill health, I felt it was unfair of me to drive with heart trouble, that should be another reason for folks to give it up, you just never know when that fatal heart attack may occur, and I wasn't going to risk it even though my doctors said OK.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
For those of us that are 60 years old, we have the privilege of a travel pass. I have heard a whisper that the government may withdraw them soon.
I know some who use them a lot and some who have never bothered to apply for one.

Because I live close to the city, travel by car and parking in particular is a nightmare, so I use my pass quite a lot.

Fares are quite expensive so I would not travel as often if I didn't have my pass. Do others use their's?
I have never used mine in 5 yrs, the bus stop is nowhere near my house and to get to and from it would mean me walking uphill which I can't do easily, and certainly not carrying shopping. Use my car or taxi
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2012, 02:12 PM

I wouldn't like to shop on line, in the supermarket I browse for the bargains. As for being lazy it's a good mile or two around our mega supermarket, then packing and unpacking into the car gets the heart pumping not forgetting the unpacking when we arrive home. I'm going to drive as long as possible I love being independent and taking off when the mood takes me...oh!!and I am past 70yrs too but hey hoo.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top