Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 04:24 PM

Did anyone on here suffer the violence that Teachers dished out decades ago??

I just found a photo of me when I was about 8 at a school where the Teachers ruled OK.
My Teacher at the time was Miss Thorpe who will probably now be dead.
My friend was sat behind me and she leant over and tickled me on the ribs.
I burst out laughing with shock and also with the tickle
Miss Thorpe called me out and my friend and said what are you laughing at. I explained that my friend had tickled me.
She told us both to stand in different corners of the class and came up and picked up our skirt and gave us one dramatic slap on the top of our leg.
My point being that I still had that handprint on my leg going different colours a bruise does for over 10 days after the event.
Wonder what compensation or even verdict would have been given in todays society and the rules and regulations of the schools nowadays?
Did anyone else have this judgement given to them in those days??
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Re: Did anyone on here suffer the violence that Teachers dished out decades ago??

I guess we all did Sandy - today, punishment is just not allowed at all.
In some cases discipline is obviously needed, we are 'too' lenient now.
Back then, there was too much enjoyment in dishing out the punishment.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Re: Did anyone on here suffer the violence that Teachers dished out decades ago??

I had a teacher who used to dictate his lesson (instead of writing on the Blackboard) all the while 'wandering' around the class. He carried three (old fashioned) pennies between his knuckles and if he thought you weren't paying attention, he'd rap you on the top of your head with his knuckles and the pennies such that occasionally he would draw blood. A real sadist!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 04:53 PM

Board rubber caught me on back of the head a couple of times, fair enough though I should have been facing forward and not talking to people behind me, so no hard feelings for that one. Did hold hard feelings for Mrs Cooch she was a cow ! Used to whack you with a ruler on back of hands them lock you in a cupboard. Hitting I could take but that cupboard has been part of my bad dreams ever since !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Absolutely, one i had in Junior school was a certifiable maniac and had an array of weapons like thick canes , straps, blackboard dusters and a large wallpaper book. Today he would be jailed or if i met him would be on the receiving end of a left hook. Certainly was nothing but a thug.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 05:46 PM

Thought there would be some horror stories to tell - a lot of teachers were sadistic .....
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 06:39 PM

I got rapped over the knuckles with a ruler for passing a note to a friend in the class.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 07:02 PM

Unfortunately we've now thrown out the baby with the bathwater and teachers have no way of enforcing any kind of discipline in the classroom.

Some 20 per cent of staff working in schools said they had been attacked by pupils or parents during the 2010/11 academic year, figures show.
A further two-thirds of teachers reported being verbally abused and 18 per cent said they had been subjected to slurs from pupils on social networking websites such as Twitter and Facebook.

Some 64 per cent of staff surveyed by TLTP Education – a recruitment company – said they had been verbally threatened in the last 12 months and 20 per cent had been attacked.
More than half of teachers – 56 per cent – said they would not recommend a career in the classroom to family or friends, the report said.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...at-school.html

As in so many areas, instead of putting things that are wrong, right, our "leaders" have taken things to the other extreme.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 07:09 PM

I still remember getting caned, and from what I recall justified except for a certain Miss Batty, headmistress from hell. But then, all was small beer when considering what Hitler was trying to do to me at the time !
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 07:11 PM

Well the rap over the knuckles I got certainly didn't scar me for life.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top