Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 06:24 PM

Re: What would you have done?

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Sue, you were put in an awkward predicament, especially when she then said she'd go to her friend's. I wonder why she didn't just go there in the first place. No, you shouldn't have total strangers in your house, but neither should she be asking to go into stranger's houses. Sounds like she's in a pretty desperate situation and in a bad way and needs more help than you could offer her. You did the right thing. Plus, she might then never be away from your door............

She did knock once before a few years back asking for Cigarettes... Sorry i don't smoke. Thank you!
Total pest's if you ask me.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
She did knock once before a few years back asking for Cigarettes... Sorry i don't smoke. Thank you!
Total pest's if you ask me.
That's what I mean. You shouldn't encourage her. I'm all for helping people, but it sounds as though they're a dysfunctional couple and you just do not want to get involved.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 06:33 PM

Sue I would have probably has said wait a moment while I take put my dog in the house and I will take you home and stay if there is a problem

That way I would help her while avoiding any unpleasantness in my house.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Sue I would have probably has said wait a moment while I take put my dog in the house and I will take you home and stay if there is a problem

Yes Meg, that does sound a caring thing to do. Better that that encouraging anyone into your own home.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Have to agree with you Suzi - she was best going to someone she knows and they know her ........ Too many people out to trick you today - we are all more wary than we used to be ......
Even if she wasn't deliberately trying to trick Suzi, sadly the fact is that Suzi would have become embroiled in this womens problems and like most of us she (Suzi) would not have had the resources to help.

It is better to say 'No' right up front than to attempt help but not have the resources to complete it.

By resources I'm refering to medical knowledge, money, time, counselling skills, and a whole lot of other things.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

25-02-2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Even if she wasn't deliberately trying to trick Suzi, sadly the fact is that Suzi would have become embroiled in this womens problems and like most of us she (Suzi) would not have had the resources to help.

It is better to say 'No' right up front than to attempt help but not have the resources to complete it.

By resources I'm refering to medical knowledge, money, time, counselling skills, and a whole lot of other things.

Yes, as I said, it sounds as though Sue can't give her the help she needs. With the best will in the world, I don't think a neighbour can help, other than show some kindness if it merits it.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

The thing is though her husband had chucked her out, she was waiting around for Bryan her neighbour to come home?
If i knew her well enough i probably said come home with me, but my time is my own. You can see through people.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

25-02-2015, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
The thing is though her husband had chucked her out, she was waiting around for Bryan her neighbour to come home?
If i knew her well enough i probably said come home with me, but my time is my own. You can see through people.
Sue, I thought Bryan was her husband. You did the right thing.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire

25-02-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Sue, I thought Bryan was her husband. You did the right thing.
No, he's the man who lives next door but one to her.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 07:47 PM

At heart we all want to be the "Good Samaritan" but you have to temper this with a bit of caution.........a delicate balance.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top