Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 01:59 PM

washing mangle

I remember we had one of these when I was a child and my sister got her fingers trapped in the mangle and damaged the guiders her hand.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	mangle.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	5637  
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 02:09 PM

Re: washing mangle

My God Mother had one in her home.
I wanted to keep it when she went into care, but, it was SO heavy!
I think it was an antique, as tracing her family tree, her Grandmother did laundry. Never used one myself, I suppose I couldn't be trusted as I do get in a pickle with some things.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 02:30 PM

They had something a bit like this when I first went swimming with the school as a child in the mid 70s. It was to dry your costume out. I think the health club I used to go to had an automatic version on the same concept.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 02:47 PM

My mother had an electric version of the old mangle, they were made from a solid rubber rather than wood. I got my hand caught up in them but it must have had some kind of safety thing on it because it sprang open after it had squashed my fingers.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
My mother had an electric version of the old mangle, they were made from a solid rubber rather than wood. I got my hand caught up in them but it must have had some kind of safety thing on it because it sprang open after it had squashed my fingers.
ouch
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
ouch
Ouch indeed. It hurt like hell but didn't do any real damage.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 04:22 PM

Thinking of mangles and the old dolly tub ... it must have been hard backbreaking work doing the laundry then.

And after that ... taking out the carpets to beat them in their yard.
Enough to make you shudder.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 04:42 PM

Must have been awful for housewives , back in the day.
Plus they were having kids in bucketloads. What a life eh
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

08-04-2018, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Thinking of mangles and the old dolly tub ... it must have been hard backbreaking work doing the laundry then.

Yeah, we sure have it easy these days cleaning wise
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

That’s why when l married in the 1970’s and had children, my mother bought me an automatic washing machine!!
She said, she didn’t want me to suffer like she did, struggling to wash nappies in the 1950’s!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top