Join for free
Page 11 of 15 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 03:34 PM

Re: Police Officier shot dead

Originally Posted by JBR ->

It seems that in this country, criminals can (and do) carry guns yet most police may not. I'm sure that carrying guns gives them a distinct advantage over the police has not escaped the minds of many criminals, and I'm sure we'll see more and more of it.
I'm sure there aren't that many armed police in this country. The last time I saw one was at Birmingham Intl airport.

There was an item on TV sometime ago about more police officers being trained to use and being allowed to carry tasers. I wonder how far this programme has got.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I'm sure there aren't that many armed police in this country. The last time I saw one was at Birmingham Intl airport.

There was an item on TV sometime ago about more police officers being trained to use and being allowed to carry tasers. I wonder how far this programme has got.
Indeed there are not. The only armed police officers, apart from routinely stationed at places like airports and nuclear facilities, are the 'on call' units which can be requested in an emergency. Unfortunately, it can take them some time to get to where they are needed. In the meantime the unarmed police are expected to do all they can to stop armed criminals!

Yes, I think all police should carry tasers but even that, despite them being a non-lethal weapon, will be met by opposition by the 'criminal supporting public', who think they know best.

Believe me, things will get a lot worse before the authorities see sense, and that puts us all in danger not only the police.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
According to reports this individual had been on the radar of the counter terrorism police. Were the police at the Croydon Custody Centre aware of this? If so surely more care should have been taken with armed officers in attendance during the search.
Hi

I will repeat, being armed would not have prevented it.

You react to a firearm, you do not prevent it.

Shoot first orders are very rare, and even then we sometimes get them wrong.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It would not have prevented this murder but knowing that the police had and would willingly use lethal force would unquestionably limit the awful behaviour of the filth except for the few who see being killed as an act of martyrdom in which case they would get their wish, save a whole lot of public money, and probably reduce the deaths and injuries of innocent bystanders.

Others making a fuss would be motivated to behave themselves and if the didn't would be made to by the presence of lethal force being used against them.

What's not to like? Seriously.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Of course I can accept that people see things differently.

What amuses me is that some people maintain that if our police were to be armed, the country would suddenly become like America rather than any other of our European neighbours.

I'd like to see some evidence to support that.

But of course, there isn't any!

It seems that in this country, criminals can (and do) carry guns yet most police may not. I'm sure that carrying guns gives them a distinct advantage over the police has not escaped the minds of many criminals, and I'm sure we'll see more and more of it.
I think that American ideas have more influence over British people than Europeans do( hell we see enough American TV to make us think like they do)! I am not saying I like it that way but I do believe that many British prefer the way the USA people think.
We are all critical of the EU & America at times but I have found that more people like the USA way of life than they do the European way... so is it unreasonable to believe that our criminals will go the same way as American criminals?
I don't think there will be any definitive facts about this, but it is my belief.
If you believe the UK can handle their police carrying weapons & the problems it may bring I would be happy to see it.... but I have to say I have serious doubts when we don't have enough police to do the job we expect them to do.
It was an American idea to reduce staff & let the computers do the work. I know that for a fact because I was in banking when we had an American team to talk and tell us that was the way to go! We all know how much money the banking industry lost & how poor the service is now... don't we!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 04:38 PM

Our front line police numbers have been decimated because so much funding has had to be diverted to monitor the activities of the now over twelve THOUSAND creatures in this country most of whom must now be monitored 24/7 because of the known threat they represent to us. The frequent interdiction of terrorist plans are as a result of this, unfortunately sometimes one or more get missed.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 04:46 PM

I don't agree with arming all the police... there are plenty of armed police available if needed we don't need every officer with a weapon that kills people that's a slippery slope in my opinion and one we can do without.

I agree we need more police officers and probably a complete upheaval of the justice system but that doesn't include capital punishment.... that's a retrograde step as far as I'm concerned
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 05:11 PM

I can understand that some people, perhaps many, disagree with both routinely arming the police and the restoration of capital punishment.

Actually, I suspect that the majority of British people would agree with both. However, unless there is an official referendum on those matters, I'm afraid we shall never know.

Of one thing I am certain, though, and that is that armed criminality and murders will increase in the coming years, especially with the continuing influx of people from third world countries and also the frequently lenient sentencing by our courts these days.

How often have I heard people say that when they were younger they felt safe to walk around their neighbourhoods, yet now they are afraid to set foot outside their homes.
I wonder why.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I was just posing the question 'did they know the individual they were dealing with was known to the counter terror police' and if armed officers had firearms trained on him during the search the outcome might have been different.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-09-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I was just posing the question 'did they know the individual they were dealing with was known to the counter terror police' and if armed officers had firearms trained on him during the search the outcome might have been different.
I can certainly see the sense in that.

Another question which occurs to me is that if someone is known to the counter terrorist police, should they be allowed to walk about freely?

Anyone suspected of being a terrorist should have no place in this country, surely?

On the other hand, it seems that absolutely anyone can come into this country these days and, what's more, is encouraged to do so by having everything they want handed to them freely.

We really are our worst enemies.

Page 11 of 15 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top