Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 01:01 AM

Thought's About The Royal Family.

How do you feel about them.Do you feel they are a waste of money or do you feel they do a good job and worth every pennyAre there to many hanger's on?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 02:31 AM

Re: Thought's About The Royal Family.

I have mixed feelings about this. The Royal Family bring a great deal of revenue into this country but, having said that, being a family of great wealth in their own right, I don't think it's right that the taxpayer should fund them as well.

Why should they receive money from the taxpayer? Why? They have properties, paintings, jewellery which adds up to an elaborate fortune. Just one of the Queen's crowns would keep many families out of debt for the fullness of their lives, and yet there is great poverty in this country.

I bet the Missus Queen and Mister Philip draws a pension, but should they? Do they?

The Sovereign is merely a figurehead. The Government runs this country, and the Queen has very little say in that and, if she or he did, then it might be different.

I don't like the Royal family, but that's not their fault, because I don't think they know the half of what goes on.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 08:32 AM

I love the 'Royal Family', but the hangers on I could gladly toss aside.

They bring in so much wealth to this country and are great ambassadors for getting trade. The Queen is like her mum in that she cares about her subjects.

Molly, you say why should they get money from the tax payer?
Why should anyone get money from the tax payer?
why should'nt everyone live to their means and pay their own way in life?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 12:04 PM

You also have to think about an alternative to the royal family. I think I would prefer them to any other alternative.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 04:10 PM

I love the Royal Family - brings tourists to the UK and without the Royals where would we be? A state run by a President? No thank you! They do a good job - all of them. Long live the Royal Family!
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 04:14 PM

Personally I think her majesty does a sterling job .I wouldn`t want her life though for all the tea in China .
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 04:15 PM

The British Royal family generally have few legal roles apart from the Queen herself, although they are immune from various laws like planning permission (local government has to authorise that any building work is safe, but the royal family can do what they like).
The Queen is in name the Head of State, the head of the armed forces and the head of the Church of England. In practice she is not allowed to actually exercise any authority or even display any preferences. The cost of keeping the whole royal family is about £41.5m per year, although this is not all as cash paid directly to them (only £7.9m) - a lot of it goes as money spent upkeeping the various estates. In addition there is the cost of security provided by the police and the army, which is not published.
However, this money is offset against money paid to the treasury in income tax, capital gains tax (in the UK, if you buy property cheap, and it goes up in value and you sell it expensively, this difference is subject to capital gains tax), and in earnings from various estates they own these earnings are paid to the state in exchange for the £7.9m mentioned above. The Royal family own an enormous amount of land. One set of land alone, the Crown Estates, is worth £6.2 billion, and makes profits of around £200m per year which are paid to the state, which alone heavily outweighs the cost of the Royal family. In addition there are the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster which are probably worth another £1bn.
From our point of view, financially, it benefits us to have these holdings associated with the state rather than a private business, as a lot more money flows back into the state than it would do otherwise. Most of their wealth is based on stuff they inherited, or proceeds from the estates, or businesses based on the estates. Prince Charles owns a company that makes biscuits (Duchy Originals)....not bad I hear lol.
Poitically, the point of keeping the Queen as Head of state is to provide some sort of counterbalance.Most countries have two houses of government and a Head of State; the US has the House, the Senate and the President. The British Prime Minister controls the House of Commons (roughly equivalent to the House); the House of Lords (even more roughly equivalent to the Senate) is much weaker than the Commons; so he actually has much more direct authority than the President of the US, so it's important that there is some counterbalance. The British PM cannot actually seize power as a dictator because technically the army belongs to the Queen and she has the authority to dissolve parliament. The Queen cannot seize power because it would cause a revolution.
This situation has basically evolved over the last 350 years or so because, as revolutions happened all across Europe and various Kings and Queens were beheaded, the British Monarchy looked at it and thought, we would rather give power back a bit at a time, than suffer a revolution and lose it all. The ball was started by our own Civil War, 1642-1651, followed mainly by a period of dictatorship, until we re-established a monarchy that had to listen to parliament in 1660. This gradual constraining of the monarchy has continued right up until 1992 when they started paying income tax....and I believe it should have happened a long time before that.
So what's the benefit of keeping them? People have different opinions and it kind of comes down to taste. From my point of view the finances are pretty even or actually profitable for the country. For me it's a matter of style. For me, there is no other person in the world whose title is as impressive as the King or Queen of England. For sheer grandeur and symbolism nothing can touch it. The President of the United Stated comes second but to be honest, he's only going to be there for eight years, and there is a reasonable prospect that one day Sarah Palin could have that title.....but I doubt it lol.
I think history and symbolism are important, especially in trying to create a nation, trying to make millions of people who don't know each other unite under the same banner. That is why America has worked so hard to elevate the idea of the President to an almost religious status. If you have something that's richly symbolic and you throw it away it's hard to build it up again.
I'm not especially into these particular people. I'm sure they are no better or worse than a lot of other people. But the idea of the monarchy is so central to the idea of what it means to be British, that, at a time when we are struggling for an idea of national identity as it is, it would be too destructive to rip it out IMO.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 04:17 PM

I love the Royal family as well and cannot imagine this country without them
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer ->
Personally I think her majesty does a sterling job .I wouldn`t want her life though for all the tea in China .
I agree Joy can you imagine day after day having to think of something nice to say to dozens of people and to eat all those lavish meals when all you want to do is sit with your feet up and eat a boiled egg while watching the television.

The Queens lifestyle may not seem a hardship to many people and of course it doesn't compare to a day down the pit but to me it signifies a lack of freedom to do what one wants.
I would rather be poor and free
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Exactly Meg ,I like to doll up now and then but every single day would do ny head in .

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top