Join for free
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 11:20 AM

A Christian Country?

We have a Queen who is head of the Church. We have Bishops in the House of Lords. We have Christmas and Easter as national holidays.
So why do those who don`t hold the beliefs of the country they are in seek to change it?
Can you imagine going to Egypt and insist the call to prayers stop because it upsets you?
I know there are a lot of non-Christians in Britain (and here). But we don`t require them to join in - simply to allow the status quo to continue.
What is your opinion?
And please keep it civil. Don`t decry others`s sincerely held beliefs, whatever they are.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 12:37 PM

Re: A Christian Country?

Personally speaking I am an atheist so don't believe in any of it anyway. However as a point of principle I think other religeons should be respected but at the end of the day they are living in a Christian country and if they don't like it they can always leave.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 12:44 PM

The `attack` is actually coming from people in Britain - the Secular Society in particular. They say they respect all religions - but I haven`t heard them say anything about any other than the Christian Church.
I have atheist, Pagan and non-Christian friends. I wouldn`t dream of trying to stop them having their own ceremonies and rituals - in public and in private.
I understand in some Midland Councils the words before meetings are from the Koran. And why not?
I simply don`t see why people can stop others doing things simply because they don`t personally believe in it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Can you imagine going to Egypt and insist the call to prayers stop because it upsets you?
Claire, I've been in Egypt as a child and also lived and worked in Saudi Arabia so I have some knowledge of these matters.

First of all, yes, it's absolutely impossible to even contemplate complaining about the call to prayers every day and three times on Friday. I know because on one contract in Saudi we lived in a compound with a mosque right on the corner and a high power public address sytem blasting from the tower ramparts

Far worse however was when some of the Philipino gardeners and housekeepers asked the compound management if they could hold an open air Christian service on a Sunday evening (They were all Catholics) no way would the authorities allow this, it is not against the law to be a Christian in Saudi Arabia but it is to partake in any public form of worship to anyone except the moslem leader.

The public address rantings of the Inman also had an interesting effect on the congregation. On the first working day after his rantings (Saturday) all the moslems would be very distant and somewhat rude to all the non moslems, by Sunday (Second working day of the week) things were slightly better, by Monday they were starting to talk and joke with us, and Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday all was friendly, then after another session in the mosque and another brainwashing by the demented preachers it would all go back to hating the Christians again.

It's one rule for them and a different rule for us
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Cant understand why we have to bend over backwards for different religions, this is a Christian country and if they dont like it then they should go whence they came.
claireandaisy
Essex

12-02-2012, 07:33 PM

But the men who provoked the two latest court cases were a gay couple who took umbrage when told they couldn`t sleep together unless they were married and a local Councillor who objected to others praying before meetings. All British.
I know British Muslims are bemused at the lack of respect for the `home` church.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I know British Muslims are bemused at the lack of respect for the `home` church.
Well of course they are Claire because in almost every country in the world lack of respect for the 'approved' religion is not tolerated by the regime, or the people, or the media, or the legal system.
Maybe USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand don't fall into that category but that's about all.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2012, 03:50 PM

I agree with the people who wouldnt allow a gay couple to stay, their house their rules, and also have given up about what the leaders of the country do, they will do as they please.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Claire darlin' - being an atheist, I agree with the 'Secular Society's challenge to local Councils who insist on 'orayers' before the commencement of Council meetings.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top