Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lahna
New Member!
Edinburgh
Lahna is female 

27-02-2012, 06:09 PM

Fashion for woman 50+

There has been allot of media attention recently regarding woman over the age of 50 and how they feel excluded from the fashion industry. (eg: Mary Portas' 'Mary Queen of Frocks)

Do you have issues with what is offered to you?

What do you value when it comes to fashion garments and shopping experience?

Are we too diverse or can we come to any similar conclusions? Other than M&S (Because we will surely end up wearing the same thing)

I have begun this discussion as my daughter has a 'Fashion Management' project regarding fashion for over 50's in response to the media complaints, just curiosity on how others feel.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2012, 06:22 PM

Re: Fashion for woman 50+

I find looking for clothes, a bit of a hassle, I found a nice blouse today. Liked the colour and pattern. But like most things the neck was to low. So I did not buy it.
I find clothes either to young, or to old. Not much in between.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2012, 06:32 PM

Why would over 50's be excluded from fashion - you don't have to give your age when you buy something? By the age of 50 most women know what suits them anyway and buy accordingly - I think there is something for everyone these days. Apart from when in my teens I have not really followed fashion - and fashion trends always go round in circles, althogh they can keep mini-skirts. I am quite casual these days - a tee shirt is a tee shirt, jeans are jeans (some skinnier than others). My son is getting married shortly and I managed to get something quite modern and pretty (from the per Una range) without much difficulty - and I am 65.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2012, 06:36 PM

Would like more in size 6's as I live in childrens' clothes. OK for everyday but if going to a wedding for instance I am lost. I mean a real size 6, M&S are too big.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lahna ->
There has been allot of media attention recently regarding woman over the age of 50 and how they feel excluded from the fashion industry.
Hello Lahna I wasn't aware of any 'media attention ' but than I don't take much notice of 'the media' with it's over concentration on how a person looks rather than the person.
I now dress out of necessity not to be fashionable.

Do you have issues with what is offered to you?
No
What do you value when it comes to fashion garments and shopping experience?
I value the bargains I have purchased on Ebay particularly my dog walking coats. What is 'a shopping experience' do you mean do I like shopping , no I shop for food every week and clothes via the internet

Are we too diverse or can we come to any similar conclusions?
I haven't a clue who 'we' is and I am not sure I really want to know.

In case you are advertising something just a reminder to read our Terms of Use with reference to spamming .
Lahna
New Member!
Edinburgh
Lahna is female 

27-02-2012, 06:49 PM

I have tried to make my thread clearer, my apologies.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Are we too diverse or can we come to any similar conclusions? Other than M&S (Because we will surely end up wearing the same thing)

I must admit that M & S stuff is often easily identfiable and I did think of that when I bought my outfit. However, I like it which is what matters and I don't think anyone will recognise it because I bought it over a year ago and per Una stuff doesn't usually hang around for long and they change stock quite frequently.

I don't think "all wearing the same thing" is something exclusively for the over 50's. The kids always look as if they are wearing the same stuff as each other - only it often comes from cheap outlets like Primart and it looks cheap and tatty - just good enough to last for one season, then it becomes a floor cleaning cloth.

The only way to be truly individual with clothing, I think, is to make your own clothes.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2012, 07:08 PM

I don't have issues with fashion, I don't specifically look at clothes for the over fifties, age is just a number and I dress as I please whether I buy from a boutique or a department store, we should move away from thinking we have to dress our age, I've no need to be reminded I'm over 50, I'd rather think I'm still a young 'un which I am at heart
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2012, 08:19 PM

no problem for me I go in stores thats for the yonger lot and get things I realy like
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

27-02-2012, 08:39 PM

Exactly how I feel Honey and Pixie - I wear what I like and what I think suits me - How old I am doesn't really come into it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top