Join for free
Page 5 of 32 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 09:27 PM

Re: Flu jabs

Originally Posted by Realist ->
And another:

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/20...lly-brogan-md/
Ah! Kelly Brogan, Holistic Psychiatrist, is a cherry-picking conspiracy theorist who utilizes non-credible resources to bash Western Medicine.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 09:29 PM

I was in the NHS for years dealing with pts, so was offered the jab every year and every year I declined.

Got my letter offering the jab at the surgery a couple of weeks ago and I've ignored it.

I've had flu once, when I was single parent with a 4 yr old. TBH I have absolutely no idea how I coped and I can't really remember much about it, just thought my time was up and what would happen to my daughter.

My view of life now is that there's one road left, the last one. So if flu gets me, so be it. I'll take my chances without the jab ta very much.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 09:32 PM

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6182

The BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal) is an international peer reviewed medical journal

Margaret McCartney: What use is mass flu vaccination?

"For each healthy adult, a Cochrane review found that vaccination saved an average of just 0.04 days off work and concluded that no evidence supported it as a routine public health measure"

"The NHS has a “Flu Fighter” campaign to encourage uptake and offer incentives for staff to bare their biceps. In return for vaccination, hospitals have offered their staff entry into cash prize draws, as well as chocolates, lollipops, cakes, biscuits, stickers that read “I’m a Flu Fighter,” and even an extra day’s annual leave, some freedom of information requests have shown. But will those days off work be offset by the average 0.04 days saved through vaccination?"
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 09:37 PM

As a diabetic I, too, am offered a flu jab on each and every visit to the GP's surgery. Perhaps 'offered' is not quite correct; 'begged' might me more appropriate.

However, I always decline. The only thing I really fear is the dreaded man-flu.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 09:41 PM

In return for vaccination, hospitals have offered their staff entry into cash prize draws, as well as chocolates, lollipops, cakes, biscuits, stickers that read “I’m a Flu Fighter,” and even an extra day’s annual leave, some freedom of information requests have shown.
What hospital was that then?....never in my 40 year career has that happened.......I missed out in my sticker...
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 09:44 PM

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/wha...tting-flu-shot

What Science Says About Getting A Flu Shot

"A review of all existing literature on the effectiveness of flu shot campaigns showed that "the available evidence is of poor quality and provides no guidance regarding the safety, efficacy, or effectiveness of influenza vaccines for people aged 65 or older."

"As we come across additional studies regarding the ineffectiveness of the flu shot, we will post them here:

A 2008 study in the Archives of Paediatric and Adolescent Medicine found that vaccinating children 6-59 months of age against the flu had no impact on flu-related hospitalizations or doctor visits during two recent flu seasons. "...significant influenza vaccine effectiveness could not be demonstrated for any season, age, or setting."

A 2008 study published in the Lancet reported that the flu shot did not reduce risk of pneumonia in the elderly.

A systematic review of 51 studies involving 260,000 children age 6-23 months was published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews in 2006 and found no evidence that the flu shot was any more effective than a placebo in children under 2 years of age.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

08-10-2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
What hospital was that then?....never in my 40 year career has that happened.......I missed out in my sticker...
Honestly Pat, your cred on this topic is pretty poor.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/campaign...fighter-awards

NHS Flu fighter awards 2016

The flu fighter awards recognise the achievements and successes of flu teams around the country.

Flu teams across England submitted over 70 different entries to the seven categories this year. The most remarkable were invited to attend the awards ceremony on 22 March in Horizon, Leeds.

flu fighter champion – Liz Grady, Alder Hey Children's NHS Foundation Trust
Liz showed an incredible level of leadership when targeting and organising her fun campaign. She managed to improve uptake from 68 per cent to an incredible 78 per cent this season
"
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

08-10-2016, 09:53 PM

God there is even an NHS Twitter feed for the "Flu Fighter" campaign

How sick !

https://twitter.com/NHSFlufighter
Pats
Lincolnshire

08-10-2016, 09:57 PM

A systematic review of 51 studies involving 260,000 children age 6-23 months was published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews in 2006 and found no evidence that the flu shot was any more effective than a placebo in children under 2 years of age.
The implications for the reputation of Cochrane Reviews are serious.
Criticisms of Cochrane reviews have been made previously. Given its role in the promotion of 'Evidence-Based' medicine including providing evidence for the preparation of guidelines, the Cochrane Collaboration needs to clarify how it discharges its responsibilities for the quality of reviews published under its imprimatur, and how it responds when they are shown to have come to unjustified conclusions.
Pats
Lincolnshire

08-10-2016, 10:02 PM

Honestly Pat, your cred on this topic is pretty poor.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/campaign...fighter-awards

NHS Flu fighter awards 2016

The flu fighter awards recognise the achievements and successes of flu teams around the country.

Flu teams across England submitted over 70 different entries to the seven categories this year. The most remarkable were invited to attend the awards ceremony on 22 March in Horizon, Leeds.

flu fighter champion – Liz Grady, Alder Hey Children's NHS Foundation Trust
Liz showed an incredible level of leadership when targeting and organising her fun campaign. She managed to improve uptake from 68 per cent to an incredible 78 per cent this season
"
Never had anyone target me to have the shot......no need I always have it anyway.

Page 5 of 32 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top