Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 11:22 AM

Re: The Bane of my Life! - THE SWEDE.

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Is he ever anything else, Mags?
Originally Posted by Mags ->
No, I don't think he'll ever change, Tabby...
Not with you lot encouraging me all the time.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 12:51 PM

Yesterday I bought a stew pack that contained a swede.
After nearly chopping my fingers off peeling it I chopped it and put it in the frying pan to brown with numerous other vegetables.
Then I put them all in the oven to roast. After an hour all were cooked except the swede chunks which were still hard, so I boiled them for ten minutes to no avail. Then microwaved for another ten.
They were just about edible but neither soft nor tasty.
I shall never buy one again. What a useless piece of food, not fit for human consumption!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Especially this one

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 04:03 PM

Swede is good for dieting though:

• Can't prepare them √

• Can't cook them √

• Can't eat them √

• Bingo, no weight put on √

Better than any of the conventional diets!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Swede is good for dieting though:

• Can't prepare them √

• Can't cook them √

• Can't eat them √

• Bingo, no weight put on √

Better than any of the conventual diets!
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
After nearly chopping my fingers off peeling it I chopped it and put it in the frying pan to brown with numerous other vegetables.
Then I put them all in the oven to roast. After an hour all were cooked except the swede chunks which were still hard, so I boiled them for ten minutes to no avail. Then microwaved for another ten.
I shall never buy one again. What a useless piece of food, not fit for human consumption!

That is really weird as swedes usually soften quite quickly (we are still talking about the vegetable variety here )
Maybe it was a realllly old one the bunged in with the rest?

One of the farmers along our road supplies most of the UK supermarkets with swedes (we call them turnips in Norn Iron). We would find the occasional one which had literally fallen off the back of the lorry saved buying them! We used to have a black labrador and in typical lab fashion she could not resist bringing one home and devouring it on the back grass, and then stinking the house out for the next couple of days with turnip f@rt$...
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 09:08 PM

Two things to remember ....

If you try to cut a swede down the middle the knife gets stuck.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
I would have boiled them for twenty mins to half and hour until soft then roasted. They are great in mash, stew or soup. Perhaps you had a rogue one!
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 10:24 PM

I think it must have been a rogue one. Any I have used have been tender just roasting 30-40 mins or boiling for around 20 mins.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
I think it must have been a rogue one. Any I have used have been tender just roasting 30-40 mins or boiling for around 20 mins.
Yes, sounds like a rogue swede! I know a swede can be left safely for 3 to 4 weeks before it starts turning soft and goes off, but I never leave it for more than 5/6 days before using it up.

If I am roasting it, and I can get to the stage of cubing it into 1inch cubes without cutting my fingers off, I usually put them into a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes before draining them, putting them back into the saucepan onto a very low heat just to get rid of the excess water for a couple of minutes and then transfer them to the roasting tin with the other veg, oil sprinkled over them and roasted for 25-30 minutes. I never trust vegetables to be soft enough by putting them directly into the oven for roasting, potatoes, thickly cut carrots, swede, turniip, all my veg get the 10 minute boiling water treatment first.

I certainly don't like my veg overcooked, but likewise, I loathe veg that has been roasted for the required time and yet turn out soft AND hard in parts. At least by doing it the way I do, the veg never fails to turn out soft.

Sorry, hate food cooked al dente.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top