Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 07:12 PM

Re: Is being generous really a kindness?

A growing social problem should be dealt with compassion and seriousness, putting social reforms into reverse is not an option.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Surely those in most need, depends on the opinion of the person saying they are in the most need?
If they go to the benefits office & explain they don't even have enough money for a phone call, are you suggesting that they offer no alternative?
There must be an alternative as not everybody has use of a phone!
Libraries, dole offices, probably more too including fellow scroungers.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don’t think it’s that simple in the Uk at least Keezoy .
A lot of people are on the street because they have issues .
They may not even be really homeless .
There are no people on the street where I live but if you go to the cities you will see them .
Some look very rough and in many ways intimidating.
I would not approach them .
When I live in South America I often saw people on the street .
It was very distressing some were crippled and there were lots of small children .
Now I am able too I donate directlg to charities that support these children .
These were truly poor people .
In the uk everyone has something .
Even the peopele living on the streets have some sort of benefits and there are shelters but people don’t always want to used them .
At the moment the government is paying for them to live in hotels .
So they are alright .
The tax payers and More specifically today’s children will pay for all this for decades to come .
With respect Muddy it is that simple for me. I try to never make judgments about what it's like in the UK. THere's more than enough of you here to do that. It's not my country. I don't know what issues these have and It's not my business. Yes you're right they may not be homeless in the literal sense. It's a personal thing. I was just answering the OP's question. If I've got a few bucks change in my pocket, I'm likely to just throw it in a jar at home and forget about it anyway. The other side of the coin - pun intended - is that if people are aggressive and demand money with a degree of menace, which they hardly ever do here in the cities at least, I feel put upon and don't give anything. THat's only happened to me in three places, Paris, San Francisco and Los Angeles. I hate LA and I try to get out as quick as I arrive. I lived in SF for half a year and there were always homeless people everywhere. Sometimes they would get aggressive . But that was outweighed by the rest of it which was great. But Paris was the worst. Very aggressive, rude and entitled people from top to bottom of the social scale. Only my opinion but that city is the pits for many reasons. Never had any aggression from street people in London, New York and very seldom in Sydney or Melbourne. Just my experience.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
A growing social problem should be dealt with compassion and seriousness, putting social reforms into reverse is not an option.
The yet to be realised fallout from the Chinese plague means that it not only is an option, it HAS to be. The welfare state has become unaffordable already and it is going to become much more so.

TINA - There Is No Alternative.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have never seen anyone put food i to the food bank boxes at the exit of supermarkets (nor have I ever done so .)

I used to give in third world countries to beggars outside of supermarkets Because they really are poor.
There are 3 choices of Food Donation boxes across from the tills at my Sainsburys ,take your pick of which one to support .
They’re always either full ,on the way to being full or just emptied . I’ve always donated .
Even my bank has a food donation box .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 12:19 PM

Surely those in most neerd, depends on the opinion of the person saying they are in the most need?
If they go to the benefits office & explain they don't even have enough money for a phone call, are you suggesting that they offer no alternative?
There must be an alternative as not everybody has use of a phone!
Benefit offices are not there to provide that information. .
Unless you understand and have taken part you know nothing about the system .
Btw tell me about people who don’t have the use of a phone these days.
Even the jobless on JSA are bound to have one in order to apply for vacancies and the JC’s to keep in contact with them .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Benefit offices are not there to provide that information. .
Unless you understand and have taken part you know nothing about the system .
Btw tell me about people who don’t have the use of a phone these days.
Even the jobless on JSA are bound to have one in order to apply for vacancies and the JC’s to keep in contact with them .
I think you need to read the post and what it was replying to before you comment!
I was just saying that the benefits office could advise how to apply for benefits... if they don't know, it is a bit worrying!

Swimfeeder was saying the phone calls take so long that some people cannot afford to pay for the call, so you need to take that up with him.

I am not going to argue with you Zuleika, no matter how rude you are!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
With respect Muddy it is that simple for me. I try to never make judgments about what it's like in the UK. THere's more than enough of you here to do that. It's not my country. I don't know what issues these have and It's not my business. Yes you're right they may not be homeless in the literal sense. It's a personal thing. I was just answering the OP's question. If I've got a few bucks change in my pocket, I'm likely to just throw it in a jar at home and forget about it anyway. The other side of the coin - pun intended - is that if people are aggressive and demand money with a degree of menace, which they hardly ever do here in the cities at least, I feel put upon and don't give anything. THat's only happened to me in three places, Paris, San Francisco and Los Angeles. I hate LA and I try to get out as quick as I arrive. I lived in SF for half a year and there were always homeless people everywhere. Sometimes they would get aggressive . But that was outweighed by the rest of it which was great. But Paris was the worst. Very aggressive, rude and entitled people from top to bottom of the social scale. Only my opinion but that city is the pits for many reasons. Never had any aggression from street people in London, New York and very seldom in Sydney or Melbourne. Just my experience.
When I say issues I mean mental health issues .
Some people just can’t cope with everything and choose to live on the streets .
Many are drug addicts .

I do give but prefer to do it by direct debit to the charities which I think will make the best use of it .

The Salvation Army do wonderful work with the homeless in the Uk .

The Anita Goulden charity helps street and disabled children in Peru.

Otherwise I really don’t see anyone on the street .

I too hate LA and will never I hope ever go there again .
I have never been to Paris and probably never will. Parisians themselves are well known for their rudeness ( even the french say that ) so it no surprise their street people are too.
Zuleika
North West UK

09-07-2020, 02:11 PM

I think you need to read the post and what it was replying to before you comment!tr
I was just saying that the benefits office could advise how to apply for benefits... if they don't know, it is a bit worrying!

Swimfeeder was saying the phone calls take so long that some people cannot afford to pay for the call, so you need to take that up with him.

I am not going to argue with you Zuleika, no matter how rude you are!
I’m not being rude , I simply told you the truth .
I know what I’m talking about by the way .
This is one way how you get advice ,not by walking into a Benefits office ,whatever one of those is . https://www.adviceuk.org.uk/looking-...nefits-advice/

Swimfeeders is correct by the way .
I’ve spent hundreds on phone calls waiting to get through to the DWP on behalf of people I’ve been working with about their existing claims .
However the Benefits Enquiry Lines are rather good and freephone 0800 055 6688
Call the DWP customer service number 0800 055 6688 free number to make a new benefit claim.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 07:35 PM

Today we are living in more enlightened times, the young unable to afford to leave home and the old at risk of isolation, more families are opting to live together, multigenerational housing is increasing.

There is always a more acceptable choice.

The yet to be realised fallout from the Chinese plague means that it not only is an option, it HAS to be. The welfare state has become unaffordable already and it is going to become much more so.

TINA - There Is No Alternative.

https://www.billhelp.uk/multi-generational-housing/

Makes sense a load of problems alleviated.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top