Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 08:49 PM

Re: A weed

If something self seeds itself in my garden I let it grow on and see how it turns out .
Have had many nice surprises TBH
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Even weeds can look good if left to grow. This one is well over 6 feet tall. Small but nice flowers..

Its only a weed if unwanted,nice shots.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 09:43 PM

Very nice detailed photos Mart...I love to see a bit of attractive wild stuff in my garden....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Very nice detailed photos Mart...I love to see a bit of attractive wild stuff in my garden....

Great photo Mart, lovely weed too. Makes gardening so much easier if the weeds are pretty doesn't it?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
I think it's RoseBay Willow Herb. There's loads of it down by the brook and I was only thinking yesterday how lovely it was.

If it is this plant, beware because all parts are highly toxic and fatal to horses and cattle if eaten.

Found this:

" It is highly toxic & worth recognizing on sight. Rosebay Willowherb contains Grayanotoxin, which affects skeletal/ cardiac muscle & nerve function. All parts of this plant are toxic & can be fatal to equines."
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I don't think it is RoseBay Willow Herb. The flowers are more well-spread and random than pictures of it shown on the Internet. I'll leave it in place for the season. I shan't be eating it anyway.

I know there are plants in the garden waiting to get the unwary (like me). I got hives a couple of years ago. I think it was from cutting down dogwood while it was in full growth.

Not a plant but I also once picked up a tick after cutting back some tall laurel bushes and had to go on antibiotics.

Gardens can be dangerous places.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 12:08 AM

Mart, I'm wondering if it is from the Campanula family?
The leaves certainly match anyway, and the flower colour. There are lots of different sorts of Campanulas.

Have a look at this:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-t...nulas-to-grow/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Even weeds can look good if left to grow. This one is well over 6 feet tall. Small but nice flowers..

I thought at first it might be Patersons Curse (Salvation Jane) but on closer inspection I don't think it is.

Patersons Curse is a noxious weed and has to be controlled in this country, it causes liver damage in livestock (and humans)
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 08:10 AM

I'm sure I've had a few of these in previous years and just pulled them up. I'd say it's not an invasive plant. The one shown is the only one in the garden.

The reason I let this one stay was because I'd cut down a bush that had got too big in the trunk and so the area was looking a bit bare. That and curiosity to see just how tall it would grow. I think it's OK and I'll just settle for it being a weed.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

12-07-2020, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Mart, I'm wondering if it is from the Campanula family?
The leaves certainly match anyway, and the flower colour. There are lots of different sorts of Campanulas.

Have a look at this:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-t...nulas-to-grow/
The previous owners of our house, some 20 years ago now, were keen gardeners. I'm not particularly and most of the plants that come up each year are more or less what has been planted by them.

It might not be a weed on that basis but this plant is over 6 feet tall. Even so, I suppose it might be one that was once put in and grown on purpose.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top