Join for free
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 10:53 PM

Have you taken any acid suppression medicines?

Such as Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs - such as Omeprazole or lansoprazole) or H2 Blockers/antagonists (such as Ranitidine) or any other acid suppression medicines?

Can you remember what your symptoms were, who prescribed them and for how long? (And how long ago.)

How did you general health go afterwards?

Are you glad you took them? Regret taking them?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 11:06 PM

Re: Have you taken any acid suppression medicines?

I was put on Omeprazole , 18mths approx ago because my diaphragm kept "jumping", I was due to have a foot op & the surgeon wouldn't do it unless it settled down. I've been on them ever since. My gastro-enterologist told me to take Ranitidine instead as my food keeps going straight through, I tried to stop them but got mouthfulls of acid drowing me at night, so now I'm on both and Gaviscon and Loperamide!!! I have slight bile salts abnormality which is the only explanation for my bowel acting up, the Colestagel & Questran both gave me dreafull tummy pains & more acid! So now I live on porridge or rice!
I wish I'd never taken the Omeprazole in the first place.
As my sister has just died of bowel cancer, which killed a few others in my family, I feel the doctors think I'm imagining symptoms and are getting fed up with me.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I wish I'd never taken the Omeprazole in the first place.
You and me both - taking them has been my biggest regret.

Keep an eye on this thread as I will (when I get five mins) post some links that you might find useful.

Sorry to hear about your sister, *hug*.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 11:17 PM

Thanks Azz, waiting for my GP to get back from hols at end of month, then I will ask if I can have an MRI scan , even if I have to get a loan to pay for it!!!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

15-06-2014, 11:20 PM

Could you write up a case history please Twiz? I'd be very interested in hearing when your symptoms started, what your symptoms are, what you have taken, any correlations you have noticed etc
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

15-06-2014, 11:28 PM

I will pm you in a few days
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 05:31 AM

I have been taking Omeprazole for over 10 years now and the only symptoms I get is when I forget to take it. I was diagnosed with ( and cured of) ulcers some 15 years ago and suffered acid reflux quite badly afterwards until I was put on those tablets. I have no digestive problems now.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 07:03 AM

Likewise, Alan. Been on it for even longer. Dr doubled the dosage a few years back to 40mg daily.
No side effects, no problems at all - and can eat and DRINK whatever I like.

UNLESS someone can demonstrate that they cause some long-term probs, I will volunteer as President of the Losec Fan Club.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 09:22 AM

You mentioned the name Lansoprazole,which i was prescribed this last month, after getting really bad soreness in my upper chest , symptoms came on worse when lying down and bending over .
Its just a one off month supply of capsules which ive only taken when it was bad,i know i was suppose to take one in a morning ,but just took it when needed.
So are you suggesting theres something wrong with the prescription tablets you have mentioned?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Can't remember the name of the stuff I was on for about 2 years, losing weight solved my problem, no more acid reflux at night, so I have been off it for a year now. Never had a problem with it whatever it was.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top