Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 10:04 AM

Re: Wasps!

I once had a wasp sting my sandwich. We were at Whipsnade Zoo with the family and had taken sandwiches for lunch. We were plagued by wasps while eating and I noticed one of the little devils on a sandwich. I shooed it away and thought no more of it ..until I bit into the sandwich.

Although the venom wasn't injected it still stung my mouth. It took immediate effect so I never got as far as swallowing it thank goodness. I was supposed to be enjoying myself, so didn't let on too much about it but it marred the rest of the day.

When I was in Jersey I got stung on the arm by a wasp and that sting was felt for days afterwards.

As far as I'm concerned now, wasps are out to sting and it's death to any that venture indoors. I've got one of those high voltage zappers that looks like a tennis racket.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 10:46 AM

Hi

I think we have to differentiate between pests and others and also the location where they are.

I must have killed hundreds of thousands of mosquitoes, blow flies, cockroaches and rats and mice in my life.

It is done in the interests of human health.

I find it no different to killing to eat.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Death to wasps!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I know they must serve a purpose but what is it? I don't kill any creatures if I can help it but wasps just seem so unnecessary....I'm like Mrs Mart I try get them to leave politely .
Wasps are good for the garden as they kill all the garden pests, if you have a wasps nest in your garden you won’t be plagued with greenflyand such, they’re actually beneficial to nature, only if you disturb a nest or threaten the nest will they attack, I once had a nest in the air brick of our house, I went too close with the petrol lawnmower and a few attacked it..should’ve seen me run,, of course at the end of summer the wasps are dying off and are unpredictable
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Wasps are good for the garden as they kill all the garden pests, if you have a wasps nest in your garden you won’t be plagued with greenflyand such, they’re actually beneficial to nature, only if you disturb a nest or threaten the nest will they attack, I once had a nest in the air brick of our house, I went too close with the petrol lawnmower and a few attacked it..should’ve seen me run,, of course at the end of summer the wasps are dying off and are unpredictable

Here you go, Primus.
The reason for the autumn bad tempers.

"At this time of the year worker wasps are gorging on fallen fruit that's fermenting on the ground. The effect of the alcohol makes them angrier and bolder than normal, so they are more likely to sting people – without provocation. "
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I would rather be plagued by greenfly than plagued by wasps.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 02:13 PM

From the surveyor's pictures - here's some nests in the roof space.. not all of them though

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	9354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	9355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	9356  
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 02:17 PM

Oh pesta how awful for you I'd be terrified
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Oh pasta how awful for you I'd be terrified

Me too, susan.

susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 02:20 PM

Pesta , I was replying to your picture post and my stupid phone insisted on spelling your name wrong it took a while to edit it hence misspelling in mups reply.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top