Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:57 PM

Re: Would you lie to spare someone's feelings?

I don't see what harm it does to lie if it makes a dying person happy.
To break a deathbed promise is the lesser of two evils.

They've died happy - that's all that matters.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 02:28 PM

I think lying about a promise one has no intention of keeping is despicable , especially the nature of the promise I was asked to make. Just because a person happens to be dying doesn't make any difference, imo!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 02:30 PM

I think only thing that matters is the dying person, my or anyone else's feelings don't matter at all at that point.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think only thing that matters is the dying person, my or anyone else's feelings don't matter at all at that point.
I disagree!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 02:41 PM

You can't be as hard as you seem tarantula... It's my guess that you just start these controversial threads to shake up a bit.
If you loved your father you would want to do all you could to make his passing peaceful. I'm sure breaking the promise wouldn't affect you too much!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I think lying about a promise one has no intention of keeping is despicable , especially the nature of the promise I was asked to make. Just because a person happens to be dying doesn't make any difference, imo!
Stop dancing around.......you refer to the nature of the promise but we have no knowledge of that, which renders the question unanswerable.

Either tell us what the promise was or stop playing games.

I'm leaning towards "attention seeking"
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

29-02-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
You can't be as hard as you seem tarantula... It's my guess that you just start these controversial threads to shake up a bit.
If you loved your father you would want to do all you could to make his passing peaceful. I'm sure breaking the promise wouldn't affect you too much!
It is perfectly true what I have described.

My father was soon to be dead and gone, and out of it, but I would have had to live with promising to do something I had no intention of doing, which would have been far worse, imo.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:00 PM

I would lie if the situation deemed it suitable. Like a request from a dying person, that I couldn't fullfill. Does it matter if that person then died feeling happier? Providing there were no witnesses to the lie that is, of course.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Yes I would lie if it was something that would not have serious repercussions.
Too often telling the truth can be an excuse for tactless rudeness .
Would I lie to my father to make him die happy ?
A thousand times yes
I agree Muddy.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->

I'm leaning towards "attention seeking"
Sure took you some time !

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top