Join for free
Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Re: How much do you reveal on social forums ?

^^^ As I spoke about in Post #21
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 11:50 AM

This is a useful topic which shows what steps some people take to remain anonymous.

There is a danger, I think, that we can become so careful that we almost disappear.

It's true that there are bad people, out there, who may well make attempts to use your information to get at your personal life.

Trouble is, there are so many ways of getting your details without having to look into this forum.

A combination of Buying on line, with the help of malware, is much easier, for baddies, than checking out your forum account.

My bottom line is that it is too easy to get paranoic (spelling?) and that can spoil your enjoyment of nearly everything.

I believe in being careful but I try to be open - at the same time.

Good trick if you can do it!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
. but not the Black and White ones.

More like sepia.
Saintdave
New Member!
Sydney Australia
Saintdave is male 

31-12-2018, 11:51 AM

As Jack Webb used to say on "Dragnet", "Just stick to the facts, ma'am". I think we'd all be cluey enough not to reveal too much about yourself. Stick to the topic, likes/dislikes and you're pretty safe.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

More like sepia.
Oh dear

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Saintdave ->
As Jack Webb used to say on "Dragnet", "Just stick to the facts, ma'am". I think we'd all be cluey enough not to reveal too much about yourself. Stick to the topic, likes/dislikes and you're pretty safe.
Hi Dave

That's the best way.

Sometimes people put on faecesbook when they will be on holiday, where they are going and how long for. For those who know who they are, it is an open invitation to burgle their house.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 03:35 PM

When I type my name into Google there is no information about me. I think this is down to never joining Twitter, or Instagram or Facebook.

That, and never using real names on forums.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Actually that's a good point Julie...every time we go shopping or out for a walk we don't hide our faces and we talk to strangers....or is that just me ....maybe I should stop talking to strangers
No, don't do that, Summer. Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet!
Frieda
Southeast USA
Frieda is female 

02-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Exercising caution without being paranoid is a fine line

I don't have a FB account, nor do I have any of those other social media accounts. Can't see the point

I will not buy anything on line from any company that does not have a phone number for me to call and I try to get references from other forum members first.

For example one of my horses is insulin resistant, requiring him to have a specialized diet. 95% of what I need for him cannot be found locally, so I have to order that 95%.

One of the horse forums I belong to is great about passing along information regarding products and the safety (or not) of the companies who sell them.

It all comes down to common sense. Even that can fall by the wayside when someone gets a scam call telling them their grandchild has been hurt or is in jail -- that's one of the latest scams in my area
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 01:27 PM

I like FB, but no one can see a thing on my page unless they are in my friends. If anyone else tries my page, all they get is my Avatar and name. If people don't keep their security tight on these Sites then they only have themselves to blame if things go wrong.

Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top