Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Re: Is mental illness ever used as an excuse for failure or bad Behaviour?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Precious I don’t think that AD is being rude it’s just his way of posting somewhat short and to the point !.
Indeed despite my efforts to be charming at all times am sometimes a bit like that myself
his previous posts were so i already put him on ignore. hes got an axe to grind though. there is no point. he stopped listening ages ago
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 10:59 AM

As in the USA where everyone who can afford it has their therapist ?
There just are’t enough to go around .
People have always been mentally ill that’s life .
Now we have so much time to think we can dwell upon things more and counsellors what exactly do they do?
Counselling has helped me and im sure many others would agree it has helped them.
you sound old school muddy with the "just toughen up kid" approach. that attitude is unhelpful imo
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 11:03 AM

Twice in my life I have had to resort to medical help and anti depressant medication, each time for about three years. I am even now grateful for that help. I believed then in a God of love, I no longer do so but respect and in a way, envy those who still do.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 11:10 AM

The other side of the coin is though sometimes the "toughen up kid" approach is quite appropriate. Other times it is just about the worst thing you can do. Whether you're a counsellor, a teacher, a parent or whatever. The mark of a good counsellor is to know the difference and to not impose your personal attitudes and prejudices on your patient/ client. We are not counsellors here. We are people chatting on a forum. We take our chances and each other as we come - or try to. Sometimes we get each other wrong. Sometimes we say the wrong thing. That's life. All we can do is try to respect each other.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by precious ->
Counselling has helped me and im sure many others would agree it has helped them.
you sound old school muddy with the "just toughen up kid" approach. that attitude is unhelpful imo
I don’t think I have ever given out a toughen up kid approach at all .
That is your erroneous perception
On the contrary I am very sensitive to the fact it’s not possible for people with anxiety or depression to toughen up .

Why, because if they could they would no one wants to be in a state of anxiety or depression .
precious
Brisbane Australia

17-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
The other side of the coin is though sometimes the "toughen up kid" approach is quite appropriate. Other times it is just about the worst thing you can do. Whether you're a counsellor, a teacher, a parent or whatever. The mark of a good counsellor is to know the difference and to not impose your personal attitudes and prejudices on your patient/ client. We are not counsellors here. We are people chatting on a forum. We take our chances and each other as we come - or try to. Sometimes we get each other wrong. Sometimes we say the wrong thing. That's life. All we can do is try to respect each other.
Heard of a guy called Jordan Peterson? He advocates a toughen up approach. But I quite like the way he does it. he is mainly targetying young men though. So prevention rather than cure.
"start by cleaning your room!"
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Heard of a guy called Jordan Peterson? He advocates a toughen up approach. But I quite like the way he does it. he is mainly targetying young men though. So prevention rather than cure.
"start by cleaning your room!"
Yes indeed. My son got me on to Jordan Peterson. He has several of his books. He did a lecture tour here recently. Lots of interesting ideas.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Jordan Peterson has recently got into hot water over transgender people .
He refuses to call people by the pronoun they prefer instead of their biological gender .

https://life.spectator.co.uk/article...nsgender-wars/
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 04:32 PM

I will ask and answer this question in regard to myself first.
I am a worry wart. High anxiety. Mountains out of molehills kind of guy. I quit teaching because i couldnt handle the stress.
What subject did you teach if I may ask?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 04:56 PM

Jordan Peterson has recently got into hot water over transgender people .
He refuses to call people by the pronoun they prefer instead of their biological gender .

https://life.spectator.co.uk/article...nsgender-wars/
And the problem with that is?

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top