Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 04:11 PM

Re: Another one for Judd

You men sound very clever and intelligent!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 05:04 PM

What I must have done 15 or so years a go, because the 32amp supply, (The dedicated high output direct spur supply from the Consumer Unit) was no longer required (because Gas Only was being used for cooking) I used it to supply the two double sockets, and two fused spurs so I guess, I would have fitted a 30amp connector block, and split it into two sub spurs feeding the two double sockets and fused spurs.

This is the photo of the double socket and spur, this will come directly off the old cooker supply and 30amp junction box.

This is the socket on the other side, supplied by the same 30amp junction box, this is the spur that will have the 13amp fuse for the Cooker plug.

This is the junction box inserted to take the plug for the socket for the Hob Ignitor below worktop level, supplied by the fused spur in the first photo.

So the two sockets, the two fused switched spurs come off the dedicated old Cooker supply split at a 30amp connector in the two directions, and do not relate to any other circuits in the house.

I hope this is clear.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 05:15 PM

The reason I fitted the fused switches in the first place was the plugs for the Hob ignitor and the gas cooker display were hidden so, a 3amp fuse in these and a 5 amp in the plugs themselves made the weakest point accessible in the event of a fault.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 08:55 PM

Can't see a problem with your solution - you converted a cooker circuit into a radial socket circuit. As long as the original cooker cable is 6 mm, the 32A MCB should be okay because you are de-rating the supplies to the cooker and hob-ignition with switched fused spurs. If the cooker cable is 2.5 mm, you should put a lower-rated MCB in to protect the cable. 20A will be okay.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

14-02-2021, 09:54 PM

Got it Judd, I'm 100% sure the original 6mm cable is between the consumer unit and the 30amp Junction box I installed, then 2.5mm to each of the sockets, this is backed up by the fact the sparky who fitted the new consumer unit, must have seen it to have labelled it accordingly. Thanks again, you know I don't take chances with electricity.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

15-02-2021, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
You men sound very clever and intelligent!
That can be a person's undoing Mags.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
That can be a person's undoing Mags.
I hope not Spitty
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

15-02-2021, 01:02 PM

Would you believe it, went to B&Q this morning and bought a 600mm wall carcass to fill the gap where tower unit was removed, assembled it and put it on the wall and it sticks out 30mm further than the existing unit next to it. Measured the depth of the existing unit at 290mm, the new one measures 320mm, so, looks like i have to saw off 30mm all round the back of the cabinet and relocate the hanging brackets 30mm further inboard, what a palaver.

here is a photo of the difference.

Here is the tiling done, covering where I had to insert the junction box.
you can just see the gap by the worktop line where the cable to the socket is set.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

15-02-2021, 01:08 PM

Just removed the carcass, can't remove 30mm from the back, I would lose the predrilled holes for the shelves etc, back to the drawing board.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

15-02-2021, 01:43 PM

The carcass has been narrowed by 30mm.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top