Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2015, 04:36 PM

Re: US Gun Culture, It's Sad

This and other unacceptable life choices are why I fear the 'special friendship' that the UK and USA have.

Basically if we look the things that disgust or scare us in todays culture, most have their roots in American culture.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2015, 10:15 AM

I'm not altogether sure that that is the case. To blame America for most of the things that frighten or discussed us isn't accurate. All these things in happen when the USA was founded. We have had racism, murder, burglary, rape, terrorism or any other kind of offensive behaviour since the beginning of time.
I think most Americans would want to change their gun laws if they had the power. The truth is the country is virtually held to ransom by a small group of influential and wealthy members of the National Rifle Club who have a lot of influence over Republican Congressmen as Obama found out recently.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
To blame America for most of the things that frighten or discussed us isn't accurate. All these things in happen when the USA was founded. We have had racism, murder, burglary, rape, terrorism or any other kind of offensive behaviour since the beginning of time.
Apologies for the garbage quoted in the above extract, it should have read as below.

To blame America for most of the things that frighten or disgust us isn't accurate. All these things happened before the USA was discovered or founded. We have had racism, murder, burglary, rape, terrorism or any other kind of offensive behaviour since the beginning of time.

I blame too much indecision for the error.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:20 PM

Everyone agrees with that except the American Gun Control Lobby - they must be removed?
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 03:10 AM

Actually it's the NRA...the claim that it's people and not guns that kill. Such rubbish...best buddie's nephew just went to work on the wrong day I guess. Thirty years old and his whole life ahead of him.
The shooters didn't know him personally, just another service station to rob. He was dead before the police got there. The shooters are still in the system, possibly for life. But that doesn't bring him back. His mother and uncle almost had breakdowns over this loss.
There are so many American's who will never own a gun and deplore gun violence. I'd wipe the second amendment off the map.

They were a devout Roman Catholic family. Open casket? Unfortunately the mortician didn't have enough to work with. So you can only imagine the damage of a gun fired at close range to the head. I wept for this family. The laws won't change in my lifetime. Maybe someday who knows...pray it will.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 04:56 AM

I'm afraid it's not true that most Americans are against guns:

Quote: the latest Gallup survey (2014) finds that 63% of Americans now say having a gun in the home makes it a safer home.

Fifteen years ago, more said the presence of a gun made a home more dangerous (51%) than safer (35%).

And anger management may help some but many have mental health and/or drug problems. With many young gunmen it's personality disorders and psychotic behaviour. Put that together with a deeply entrenched gun culture and the copy-cat effect and you have an insolvable problem.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top