Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 01:55 PM

Fined For Taking Your Child Out of School.

Would you take your child out of school to go on holiday? Many can not afford Peak Time Costs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43254495
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 02:02 PM

Re: Fined For Taking Your Child Out of School.

I read an article recently which said the parents were saving more money by paying the fine and going on holiday, than accepting having to go away in the peak periods only.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 02:10 PM

Some councils issued penalties at rates five times the average, including the Isle of Wight (64 per 1,000 pupils), which last year won a long-running case over an unauthorised holiday, East Riding of Yorkshire (63 per 1,000) and Suffolk (60 per 1,000).

All three councils issued penalty tickets at a rate of more than 60 per 1,000 pupils (compared with 12 per 1,000 on average). Of the Welsh authorities, Merthyr Tydfil had the highest penalty rate at 4.6 per 1,000 pupils, less than half the average for England and Wales.

Paul Brading, Isle of Wight's cabinet member for schools, said its high rate of fines was because officials want every unauthorised absence to be "thoroughly followed through".

From 2019, the authority is cutting the summer holiday from six to five weeks and introducing a two-week autumn half term instead.

The changes would also give island parents - many of whom work in the tourism sector - greater freedom to take a family break outside traditional school holiday dates.
Now that's a bit of lateral thinking .....
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Would you take your child out of school to go on holiday? Many can not afford Peak Time Costs.

Definitely not, education is very important.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 03:30 PM

Many parents can't afford peak time holidays so if it meant the only way my child could have a family holiday then yes I would. Education is important but so is making happy family memories. I have such fond and happy memories of my family holidays as a child.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 03:36 PM

I am losing faith in education better ones children have some happy life experiences.
Medea
East Sussex
Medea is female 

15-03-2018, 03:36 PM

Yes I have done in the past when 2 weeks in term time was at the discretion of the head and nobody ever objected. Education is found in many ways and some parents cannot get time off in the holidays depending on their work. A family holiday together is important. The reason they instigated fines is because of Ofsted Attendance records to make the school look good. Even if you holiday in this country in a tent the prices rocket up in the holidays. Perhaps different councils could stagger holiday times to beat the rise in prices.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 03:41 PM

It all comes down to the parents work place and how many people are willing to take time off over given periods in the year. So sometimes it can't be helped when a family takes their holidays..

Back then Companies had an annual shut down and everyone had the same holidays.. But times have changed, holiday prices changed too.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 03:51 PM

Disrupting a child's education just to have a family holiday is not a good idea. I am all for the local authorities cracking down on it.
Medea
East Sussex
Medea is female 

15-03-2018, 05:44 PM

Have any of us or our children actually been educationally damaged by taking time off school. We still all get on in life whether we missed 2 weeks of the year or not. Obviously don't take them out when they are taking exams. But schools have been very silly expecting children to go in when they are ill or even for a family funeral. This really is all to do with Ofsted attendance figures and very little to do with a child missing some vital lesson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top