Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 03:18 PM

Birds in the garden

A couple of lovely sights in the garden this morning, a sparrow hawk landed on the fence, even though you know he is after 'your' birds, he is still quite majestic.

Then a while ago a jay landed on the peanut feeder and then crossed to the bird bath, where its baby was waiting to be fed. We rarely see jays, so felt quite privileged.

Any unusual visitors in your garden?
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Re: Birds in the garden

I was on the allotment attending the strawberry bed. When a Robin landed about a foot away. Bobbing his head up and down, he then produced a big wiggly worm, ate the worm then flew off. We also have grey tits nesting in the box my husband put on our cherry tree on the allotment. Nature is so nice to watch.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 04:01 PM

It is lovely to watch the birds in the garden.
We have a sparrow hawk that visits regularly but I have only seen it capture it's lunch on two occasions. We have a pair of gold finches that feed in our garden but are nesting elsewhere and also blue tits. We have a blackbird nesting in the ivy and a hedge sparrow nesting in our hedges.
We also have a family of sparrows that are constantly squabbling in a bush behind the shed and collared doves and wood pigeons that wake us early in the morning.
I have seen a wagtail drinking from the bird bath and a couple of magpies.

And there is an unwelcome visitor in the guise of a heron who sits on the roof looking longingly at our garden pond. A magnificent looking bird but not welcome who is thwarted his meal because he can't get to the fish.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 04:40 PM

I have been filling my nyjer seed feeder every other day, so I suspect we have some gold finches again this year.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 06:25 PM

I haven't seen any really unusual birds in our garden, but there are quite a few varieties around and, of course, they are all busy. We have owls in the oaks and we hear them, but only occasionally see them. The little wren, the long tailed tits and the nuthatch are my favourites. The wren's nest is very close to the house in the ivy. We have woods with a river and a dam very close by and I believe this is why we are lucky to have such a good variety of birds coming into the garden. The ducks from the dam come into the garden at mating time and the males spend time on the lawn following the females about. One thing I notice is how early in the morning the birds start up with the dawn chorus.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 09:14 PM

Had a sparrow hawk visit my garden this afternoon with a little sparrow in its mouth!

Walked through the woods this afternoon and saw the heron swooping and diving into the fast flowing stream - beautiful bird and fascinating to watch.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 07:02 AM

Unusual birds in the Garden!!!

Peacocks, Pheasants, Kestrals, Sparrow Hawk, Partridge, We have even had a Green Woodpecker, that is not to mention the normal Tits, Coal, Blue, plus one Willow Tit a few years ago, Green Finch, Gold Finch, Magpie, Rooks, Crows, Jays,
we have even had a Buzzard in the garden for a couple of hours watching the small birds.

One thinkg about living in the country is that you get to see most of mother natures flying type of native creatures.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I have been filling my nyjer seed feeder every other day, so I suspect we have some gold finches again this year.
It is gold finches feeding, I got a quick glimpse of them this morning.
When the weather dries up I will set a camera up with the remote control.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 08:58 PM

We had two lovely little cold tits visit yesterday. Two pairs of blue tits come for their morning meal each day.

A neighbour has a big pond in there back garden. I have seen a heron sat on there garage roof eyeing up the fish, they have put mesh over the pond now. Due to losing a few carp to the heron.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 09:26 PM

We have a heron fly over a couple of times a week, they look quite prehistoric don't they?
What amuses me are the blue tits and great tits getting spiders? along next doors fence or under our tables and chairs
And I do love the colour of goldfinches.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top