Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 09:34 PM

Re: Birds in the garden

We have a heron that flys over most evenings on its way home. Old Nog I call him, (like the heron in Henry Williamson's book, Tarka the Otter).
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
We have a heron fly over a couple of times a week, they look quite prehistoric don't they?
What amuses me are the blue tits and great tits getting spiders? along next doors fence or under our tables and chairs
And I do love the colour of goldfinches.
Gold finches are my favourite bird, beautiful creatures.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 11:59 PM

We usually have blue-tits, great tits, blackbirds, dunnocks, magpies and crows, oh and collared doves.

Just lately we've had a couple of jays visit the garden - such lovely birds

Last summer, when sitting in the garden, I saw a sparrow hawk fly down into the shrubbery at the end of the garden and pick up a sparrow then took off with it, and the poor little sparrow was squawking with fright. That did upset me
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2012, 12:44 PM

We have a regular bird of prey here, I don't know what it is I'm not that good on recognising them, but many times we see the panic of birds flocking and going in all directions when this big bird is circling them overhead. The parakeets in particular, such a noise ! I really hate to see that bird of prey, I know it has to live but I wish it would go elsewhere where I didn't have to see it.

We sometimes get hoopoo birds and quite a variety of birds I have no idea what they are, some are very tiny and black, we get goldfinches, sparrows, blackbirds, ibis occasionally, heron occasionally, but not often now as the fish pond is netted over and one day we even had a flamingo at the side of the pool.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2012, 05:11 PM

Something odd going on...we've no birds in the garden. Well that's a lie, there is one woodpigeon
'Our' robin usually feeds around this time.
I keep looking for the sparrow hawk but I can't see it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Still quiet in the garden, though I have seen a couple of chaffinches and a couple of wood pigeons but normally the feeders are full of birds and underneath the feeders too...the sparrows usually do a good job of mopping up.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Janela have you any cats about?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

12-05-2012, 07:04 PM

I never gave cats a thought Arthur..I've been looking up, not down Hubby has just said that behind the greenhouse it smells of cats wee.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

15-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Well, twice today we have been visited by a sparrowhawk, landing on the fence by the patio doors. So I guess it has been around for a week, keeping the small birds away.
A jay was feeding on the peanuts this morning, lovely colouring.
Sorry if I blamed cats - that's your fault Wrinkly
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Well, twice today we have been visited by a sparrowhawk, landing on the fence by the patio doors. So I guess it has been around for a week, keeping the small birds away.
A jay was feeding on the peanuts this morning, lovely colouring.
Sorry if I blamed cats - that's your fault Wrinkly
As if our dear cats would do a thing like that!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top