Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2012, 10:50 PM

Re: Birds in the garden

We have a blackbirds' nest in one of our bushes, next to the shed. It's not very well hidden and if I stand on tiptoe I can see the eggs. Started off with one egg on Thursday, now three. It's a big hedge so why didn't she build it in the middle instead of right on the edge? Bit worried about it because we have squirrels and magpies. I awoke this morning at 4am to Mr Blackbird singing his head off Keeping my fingers crossed for them.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2012, 04:46 PM

I'm in the city but I do get bluejays, cardinals, sparrows, chickadees, robins, goldfinches and wrens in my yard. I buy a mixed seed for the feeder and put peanuts out loose for the jays and squirrels. I love it when a jay swoops in and steals a nut out from under a squirrel's nose! There are usually mice scavenging seeds from under the feeder too.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2012, 05:13 PM

It's wonderful isn't it Sue? Their singing and chirruping is a delight. On my way back from a walk this morning I could hear my resident blackbird four of five houses away up in our oak tree. I sneaked a sidelong peak into the nest this morning, there are now five eggs. If I can see it clearly then so can the predators, silly blackbirds!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
It's wonderful isn't it Sue? Their singing and chirruping is a delight. On my way back from a walk this morning I could hear my resident blackbird four of five houses away up in our oak tree. I sneaked a sidelong peak into the nest this morning, there are now five eggs. If I can see it clearly then so can the predators, silly blackbirds!
Goodness - did you actually climb the tree to do that? Yes, I love the chatter!
maryl
UK

30-05-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Goodness - did you actually climb the tree to do that? Yes, I love the chatter!
That would be a miracle! No, their nest is in a bush near our shed, not very well hidden.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
That would be a miracle! No, their nest is in a bush near our shed, not very well hidden.
There must be more than one silly blackbird. We have a pair nesting quite low down in the ivy and we have a few cats who visit along with the other usual preditors.
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2012, 07:34 PM

We have a pair also nesting in Ivy on the garage ,almost at ground level ,luckily I don`t see any cats around .
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Had an unusual visitor today..not sure if it was a willow tit or a marsh tit.
Never seen one in the garden before, very sweet.
And a fox came sauntering across the lawn, making its way towards a host of sparrows who were feeding on the meal worms.
How are the blackbirds doing maryl?
maryl
UK

03-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Had another peek at the blackbirds' nest this morning and still five eggs in there. I do it very nonchalontly (sp) or Mr Blackbird sends out his alarm call, which is very upsetting to hear. Just saunter up as if I was going into the shed, stand on tiptoe and there they are
So a fox came across your lawn this morning? How wonderful. Beautiful creature but deadly for our birds.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 07:03 PM

We have a throng of Starlings, must be a few family's as these fat birds stand screaming and the poor thin ones are dashing backwards and forwards feeding them, they are big enough to feed themselves.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top