Join for free
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Dageus Update.

He goes outside to the Toilet no bother at all if the Back Door is open, and he's clean at Night in his Crate. I Bed him down for 11pm and get up around 3-4am to let him outside. Then it's back to his Bed/Crate till 7am. My Problem is.....How do I get him to ask out when the Back Door is shut? If I see him heading for the Kitchen and I know the doors shut I go right after him and open it, if I don't see him then he does it on the Mat behind the door. Does anyone have any ideas please
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Re: Dageus Update.

What happens if you take away the mat?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 06:06 PM

Tried that....same thing but the floor gets it instead
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 06:39 PM

All you can do really is make sure that you take him out at frequent intervals, whether you think he wants to go or not and at least every couple of hours, and then wait with him until he performs. When he does perform then fuss and reward him and allow him back in.

I doubt he will ask to go out, with either a yap or possibly a whine, until he's at least six months old, so make sure that you always get him outside before he has the chance to disgrace himself, to reinforce the rewarding of being clean outside....

Remember that patience is a virtue, and a puppy is one of the biggest testers of it, so good luck to you Roxy, we're with you in spirit....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 09:48 PM

I agree with Barry - the best thing is to just keep taking him out regularly and not rely on him to be able to tell you just yet. Bonnie is a year old now and she now does let us know what she wants. She gets my attention by sitting in front of me and staring - if I take no notice she will grab hold of my arm and actually take me to what she wants. You could start to say "outside" or "toilet" whatever suits, as you are taking him outside - eventually if you ask him he will probably show you what he wants. We have a lot of words for different things and it is surprising how many words a dog is able to understand. You could teach Dageus to bark to go out, but I don't teach that because if Bonnie barks I like to know that she is barking at something out of the ordinary which needs investigating. I also prefer a quiet dog.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

09-06-2012, 11:41 PM

I know it's weird as it's only 10.1/2 Years since Pashka was a Puppy, but Dageus is so different from her. She used to cry at the Door and I aways heard her and ran to let her outside. That's why I was asking as I simply can't remember what I did with the Pup before that. Maggie was 2 when I got her and Dan n Ben were also Adults so they were House Trained when they came to me. Harry was as well even though he was only 8 Months when I took him on. Last OES Pup I had was over 20 Years ago.
Thanks for your replys...will keep a closer eye. It's easy just now as the Weather's not too bad and I can have the Door open, but when it Rains I need to shut it....and that's when the problem starts.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 09:43 AM

When you see him heading for the door you go and open it. Do you think you could follow him to the door but wait a moment before opening it, to give him a chance to indicate what he wants with you there? Or is he too desparate?!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

10-06-2012, 10:53 AM

I also asked this question on Yahoo Answers, nearly all of the Replys came back the same....Train him to use a Bell...huh? Have any of you heard of this? Found a link for it on YouTube. It's certainly a new one on me. :confused

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glpKfDTxATM
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Well that's a new one on me as well!! I would agree with Barry and Rena that it takes time for a puppy to ask to go out for a wee. Eventually over time it does happen. Some dogs I've come across don't bark but will just go and sit by the door and wait for you to notice

I think you're doing really well with the toilet training
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

10-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Thanks Marpaul, he's very quick and seems desperate to please, but just can't help getting into mischief lol.
He knows full well it's naughty to do it inside, but just doesn't seem to know how to get me to open the door. He plays through the Kitchen and Living Room with his toys, diving all over the place, I'm up and down like a Yoyo when he goes to the Kitchen ....just incase he wants out. Don't think I get to see a TV Programme all the way through unless Himself's asleep lol.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top