Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Chewing...

My dear little Bennie has intermittent chewing episodes. He has been great for quite a while but yesterday tucked into two cushions again
I am wondering if anyone has any advice of things to offer him to chew instead of the cushions. I have given him numerous rawhide things but these are mostly buried in the garden. A couple of soft toys are ignored, but he seems to like the soft stuff of cushions.
If I am around I can tell him off if I catch him chewing cushions, and I did yesterday, but I can't be around all the time. Favourite cushions have now been removed! I hope he will get the message eventually that it isn't on, but in the meantime?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Re: Chewing...

My Pashka was a Cushion Lover, like you I removed the good ones but when I had to go out and leave her I left her in the Kitchen in her Basket with a Chew.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 02:52 PM

How about a large Kong filled with dog treats all stuck together with peanut butter? I did this for one of mine and stuck it in the fridge so it was solid to make it last longer. I know what you mean about the cushions though, the times I came home to a 'snowstorm'
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 05:14 PM

Tripe sticks are worth a try - very smelly, but dogs love them. Paddywack is another thing dogs love to chew and it does last a bit longer than tripe sticks.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 05:22 PM

But I don't want him to get overweight from eating too much either!

And alas there is no door on my kitchen so I can't leave him in there. Anyway, he settles in the conservatory quite happily but I can't close him in there as it can get too hot. Hence he still has access to the house.

Will just have to see how it goes.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
My dear little Bennie has intermittent chewing episodes. He has been great for quite a while but yesterday tucked into two cushions again
I am wondering if anyone has any advice of things to offer him to chew instead of the cushions. I have given him numerous rawhide things but these are mostly buried in the garden. A couple of soft toys are ignored, but he seems to like the soft stuff of cushions.
If I am around I can tell him off if I catch him chewing cushions, and I did yesterday, but I can't be around all the time. Favourite cushions have now been removed! I hope he will get the message eventually that it isn't on, but in the meantime?
Hi Ania does it happen mainly when Bennie is alone?
Chewing can also be a displacement activity, something dogs do when they are bored or lonely.
Mary mentioned a frozen Kong .This could be substituted for a meal so Bennie doesn't put on too much weight. It would last a while providing mental stimulation.

If Bennie is going to be left alone a walk and play with a toy may help to him to sleep while you are away.

If you catch him chewing something it can be helpful to do a swap for something he is allowed to chew and give lots of praise if he accepts it.
I like to give dried fish as a dog chew, it's good to chew, low fat and smelly enough to be interesting .
Both Fish4dogs and Burns make dried fish and you can order it online
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 10:39 PM

If you havent got a kitchen door could you buy a gate that expands to fit various areas and put his bed in there so he will have a nap whilst he is alone.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 03:39 PM

You could try tying old socks into knots. We have had two "I'll chew it up" dogs and the knotty socks seemed to cure the problem. Sounds daft I know, but one dog in particular would spend hours trying to unknot the socks.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

17-06-2012, 04:14 PM

I like that idea. He has been totally disinterested in one of those rope toys, but maybe DIRTY knotted socks would do!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

17-06-2012, 04:20 PM

Meg, it initially was at night when he chewed up an old duvet and cushion that I had put out for him to sleep on. I put that down to the traumas of a new home. It settled, and I was optimistic. He chewed his bed to bits when I was away and he was staying with a friend. No problem, he may have missed me and I think he was only out for one longish walk a day instead of two which probably didn't help.
No further chewing until last week when he demolished one cushion when I was out of the room and tore another one shortly thereafter. And (touch wood) he has been fine since.
I'm hoping it is not attention seeking. I do spoil him but he does have some discipline so is not totally unruly.Will look into the kong idea.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top