Join for free
Page 20 of 22 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 06:06 PM

Re: Vitamin D Defficiency and Mobility Issues in Old People

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Have the prescription now Twink
These are HUX. Vegetarian capsules .
Take 20,000iu 3 times a day for 5 days ,then 400iu " over the counter" ( buy them yourself ) daily.
Doesn't say for how long those have to be taken .
The ones you take for 5 days will be a higher dose to stop you being deficient and should raise your levels. The ones you buy over the counter should maintain your higher levels through the winter & you should feel much less discomfort.
If it returns in the new year ask your doctor to do another blood test.
Good levels of Vit D should be over 49 but between 39 & 49 is ok.
Look at this site
https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/i-te...-results-mean/

It explains it much better than I can. Just make sure you don't go low again as it can cause bone & muscle weakness.
I hope you feel much better soon, I know I did and that was after 8 years of deficiency!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The ones you take for 5 days will be a higher dose to stop you being deficient and should raise your levels. The ones you buy over the counter should maintain your higher levels through the winter & you should feel much less discomfort.
If it returns in the new year ask your doctor to do another blood test.
Good levels of Vit D should be over 49 but between 39 & 49 is ok.
Look at this site
https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/i-te...-results-mean/

It explains it much better than I can. Just make sure you don't go low again as it can cause bone & muscle weakness.
I hope you feel much better soon, I know I did and that was after 8 years of deficiency!
Nice post I am at my great age leaning things
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
are you eating decent food Galty???

I eat 2 to 3 different types of fresh veg every evening meal and various fruits each day. Brocolli, green beans, courgettes etc and cherries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and bananas.

Vitamins should come from what you eat not pills.

Why are you low on B12 and iron?
No I am not.

Eat Micro curries and some plums as well as well as other fruit

No red meat latly

Little veg.

Depends on time of year.

So B12 given tablets and also given folic acid in tablet form.

Two dayslater slight better

Goggled the lacking of both and found most of the symptoms I am suffering from such as the depression and itching. and the massive tiredness are my symptoms
A month to go before what I find the results the results is Vit D is..

Will post in Oct the result
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:28 PM

Slightly better in 2 days ? Hope you continue to improve galty.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:43 PM

Well done Galty.
Hope you are feeling much better soon.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
No I am not.

Eat Micro curries and some plums as well as well as other fruit

No red meat latly

Little veg.
Ok

So is there a reason why you are choosing to eat micro curries and not giving your body the real fuel it needs?

Are there things you just can't eat?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 05:55 PM

Galty Vitamin B12 is found in meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, yeast extract (such as Marmite) and specially fortified foods. This will take around 4 months to restore your levels.

You can change your diet to include vitamin B12-fortified grains, a supplement or B12 injections, or a high-dose oral vitamin B12 if you are deficient. Older adults who have a vitamin B12 deficiency should take a daily B12 supplement or a multivitamin that contains B12. For most people, treatment resolves the problem.

Weakness and fatigue are common symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency. They occur because your body doesn't have enough vitamin B12 to make red blood cells, which transport oxygen throughout your body. As a result, you are unable to efficiently transport oxygen to your body's cells, making you feel tired and weak.

If you are able to, try eating more of these....
Beef, liver, and chicken.
Fish and shellfish such as trout, salmon, tuna fish, and clams.
Fortified breakfast cereal.
Low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
Eggs.

If you can't then make sure you are having Vit B12 pills or injections. If you don't this can happen...
vitamin B12 deficiency can cause megaloblastic anemia, a condition where the red blood cells are larger than normal and cannot function properly. ... If left untreated, the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency tend to worsen and irreversible problems involving the nerves and brain may develop.
My mother in law ended up in a care home, with dementia, because her Vit B12 was too low, so listen to your doctor no matter what anybody tells you!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

06-09-2019, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well done Galty.
Hope you are feeling much better soon.
The depression has gone thank god

For the first time for months slept all through the night after I have woke up a 1 in the morning.

Still tired but not as bad.

Legs still ache and still killing me.

After three days of B12 tablets.

Feel ten times better.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
The depression has gone thank god

For the first time for months slept all through the night after I have woke up a 1 in the morning.

Still tired but not as bad.

Legs still ache and still killing me.

After three days of B12 tablets.

Feel ten times better.
Good news, glad to hear lad
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

06-09-2019, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Galty Vitamin B12 is found in meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, yeast extract (such as Marmite) and specially fortified foods. This will take around 4 months to restore your levels.

You can change your diet to include vitamin B12-fortified grains, a supplement or B12 injections, or a high-dose oral vitamin B12 if you are deficient. Older adults who have a vitamin B12 deficiency should take a daily B12 supplement or a multivitamin that contains B12. For most people, treatment resolves the problem.

Weakness and fatigue are common symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency. They occur because your body doesn't have enough vitamin B12 to make red blood cells, which transport oxygen throughout your body. As a result, you are unable to efficiently transport oxygen to your body's cells, making you feel tired and weak.

If you are able to, try eating more of these....
Beef, liver, and chicken.
Fish and shellfish such as trout, salmon, tuna fish, and clams.
Fortified breakfast cereal.
Low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
Eggs.

If you can't then make sure you are having Vit B12 pills or injections. If you don't this can happen...
vitamin B12 deficiency can cause megaloblastic anemia, a condition where the red blood cells are larger than normal and cannot function properly. ... If left untreated, the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency tend to worsen and irreversible problems involving the nerves and brain may develop.
My mother in law ended up in a care home, with dementia, because her Vit B12 was too low, so listen to your doctor no matter what anybody tells you!
Great post.

Had B12 vits prescribed 6 years ago and then stop taking them because my B12 was back to normal

One thing will say is after 65 have a blood test ever 6 months.

Page 20 of 22 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top