Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 06:49 AM

Re: Driving through flood

Never drive through flood water, you have no idea what lies below the surface or how deep it is, a culvert could have been washed away.

susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Thats scarey Bruce .
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 12:11 PM

My advice for what its worth, stay in first gear go as slow as possible try not to cause a wave as this may flood the engine and stall it,

Learn to swim, buy some water wings..
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 12:35 PM

Thanks Basser . I did go through in 2nd gear and I went too fast I panicked. So 1st is best and slow ?
I thought I'd less chance of stalling in second gear .

Maybe I should think twice about going to my friend after heavy rain .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 12:02 PM

I drove through a few flooded areas last Friday. It was bad enough driving through the water but worse if you were passing a huge lorry that had come from the other direction.
The gush of water coming from that as it passed you was like being in a tsunami.
susan m
DORSET UK

22-12-2019, 12:25 PM

Artangel it is scary . Again this week I was driving on a dual carriageway the rain hitting the windscreen and wipers on fast , the road was shiny and the oncoming lights blinding I was obviously aware of difficulty when I hit a flood of about a foot in depth , no warning at all , I immediately went into 2nd gear . The force of the water pushing against the car . The length of flood seemed to go on forever . I looked in my mirror and saw chaos behind as others were going through it was right across the flat road .

Today I'm having brake problems as the car wouldn't move so I guess brakes are wet .

Drive safely everyone
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 03:16 PM

It's been really bad hasn't it, and I don't think we're over it yet either.

They said on the weather yesterday, that there were 97 Flood Warnings out around the country!

Where do all the poor animals who live out go . . .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 03:53 PM

Hi

If you have to drive through a flood do it in someone else's car
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I visit each week a friend who lives in the middle of no where in Dorset. I drive through 3 miles of tiny lanes in pitch black to get to her . Recently I was driving the lanes and there were three low places flooded . The first two were okay then i saw the third deep dip and went into second gear and through about a foot of water about 30 feet in length . Oh boy did it scare me . I could not turn round as the lane is so narrow.

My car is a seat ibiza sport and low to the ground .

Any advice about driving through please. I do get worried. Obviously if it's too bad I dont go but it seems to be normal weather lately and no one else seems bothered

Thankyou
In 2009 I drove through a flood - though I thought at the time it was just a big puddle!

Peugeot 306 - total write-off!
The air intake on a Peugeot is very low.......it's worth knowing where that is on the vehicle you drive!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
In 2009 I drove through a flood - though I thought at the time it was just a big puddle!

Peugeot 306 - total write-off!
The air intake on a Peugeot is very low.......it's worth knowing where that is on the vehicle you drive!
It's also worth reading your insurance policy to see if they are going to pay up if the driver makes a risky decision.

Luckily, though, the motor repair companies will be delighted if they have to pick up & sort out the flood damage to your car.

Is it worth the bother, or would a diversion, around the flood area, be better?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top