Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 03:37 PM

Re: Cummings is Recruiting

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
change for the sake of change?
Change is generally good Annie, it stops established factions from
further entrenching the priviledges they have set up for themselves
during their reign, is this country is a prime example of this, it also
makes it more difficult for corruption to become established as
networks are broken up? Of course this change needs to take place
on a continuing basis!
Regards Donkeyman!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Cummings has spent nearly 20 years on his ideas for reforming the civil service. For a start, his recruitment campaign is not an open offer to tender as you seem to think it is, he is asking for individuals to apply.

Other ideas from Cummings include a regional cabinet so that departments are distributed around the country and spending on objectives rather than process. This would be a revolution in clearing out the mandarins in the civil service allowing a much stronger focus on delivering projects.
From what I have been reading, Cummings is against promotion to important roles within Science etc by those who don't even possess the relevant qualifications they would have to have outside of the Civil Service. Any serious mistakes made by these inadequate people then results in them never being held accountable as instead of being sacked or demoted, they are always quietly moved into another equal position in another department.
Cummings wants all this to stop. That is why he is advertising for qualified 'Geeks' and 'Weirdo's' and other clever Scientific types with proper qualifications to apply for Scientific positions. Good on him! He has also reiterated that if they are no good, they will be ''gone''. no mistake.

We have the odd thing of a Civil Service that remains in place no matter how many times the Government changes hands instead of as other countries do, when the outgoing Goverment goes, so too does every member of their staff.
This odd tradition of ours has led to the Civil Service becoming their own little empire with no sackings and being able to act as they wish.(Anyone still remember Cameron ordering them to act with non-cooperation towards the Leave supporting MP's during the run up to the Referendum?)

I hope Dominic Cummings does a complete sweep of the useless in the Civil Service. It is long overdue.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 03:49 PM

I am an admirer of Cummings , he is into science and technology and shaking the cobwebs of the civil service and I think that is just what is needed right now.

Get on with it Dom
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am an admirer of Cummings , he is into science and technology and shaking the cobwebs of the civil service and I think that is just what is needed right now.

Get on with it Dom
If anyone can maximize the effects of brexit, it is cummings. He should have the opportunity to do so.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 06:53 PM

The paper reeks of "management consultants" and "gravy train".

Cambridge dictionary definition of propaganda : "information, ideas, opinions, or images, often only giving one part of an argument, that are broadcast, published, or in some other way spread with the intention of influencing people's opinions:"

Propaganda exploits the frailty in human thought processes.
We don't have a Scooby Doo what the hell you are on about let alone why it might be relevant..

Methinks you don't either.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 06:57 PM

change for the sake of change?

Change for the necessity of change.

The Civil service is too insular and self serving.

It needs a good shake down, as does much more of the so called bed rocks of society.

Think of it as breaking down the prison walls .

Change is good.

Change is the only Constant!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Get on with it Dom

Exactly, Meg.

Good riddance to the dysfunctional, "jobs for the boys" civil service.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Change for the necessity of change.

The Civil service is too insular and self serving.

It needs a good shake down, as does much more of the so called bed rocks of society.

Think of it as breaking down the prison walls .

Change is good.

Change is the only Constant!
I think you must be talking about whitehall? Because the civil service is everywhere and I'm not sure whether the average employee at my local council is self serving...
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 12:57 AM

I think you must be talking about whitehall? Because the civil service is everywhere and I'm not sure whether the average employee at my local council is self serving...
Do you still have green maintenance, waste removal, infrastucture maintenance performed by municipal employees? Those men and women have civil servant status too. Any arrangement for civil servants cummings changes (pensions etc), will effect them just as much. Their salaries are amongst the lowest around.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Do you still have green maintenance, waste removal, infrastucture maintenance performed by municipal employees? Those men and women have civil servant status too. Any arrangement for civil servants cummings changes (pensions etc), will effect them just as much. Their salaries are amongst the lowest around.
No - many of these services are now tendered to private contractors. Council employees used to be on civil service grades but they don't seem to fall under the label. The Police are not civil servants and neither are NHS employees.

But you will have people working for the Driving vehicles licensing agency or HM prisons or meteorologists at the Met office (among others), who are on fairly low salaries and are certainly doing a valuable job. All of these organisations have slimmed down over the years and made people redundant. So this discussion must pertain only to Whitehall.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top