Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 12:24 AM

Fire Extinguishers?

Do you carry a Fire Extinguisher in your car?

Just curious, I have carried one for a couple of years but until recently it just floated about under the driver's seat. I bought it after seeing a bloke put out a fire using one where his exhaust had set fire to some long grass. It seemed a good idea.

I had intended to mount it using a bracket attached to the passenger seat mounting bolts however I finally got round to mounting it in the rear tray.

Crappy photo because it is sandwiched between the fridge and the side hatch but it is actually easy to get to either from the side hatch or rear of the vehicle.

Do you carry a fire extinguisher in your vehicle? how have you mounted it?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-06 09.33.19.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	11361  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 08:29 PM

Re: Fire Extinguishers?

I must admit I don't, Bruce. Could be a life-saver I know, but never thought seriously about it.

I believe most farmers carry them in their Combines when harvesting, as I know those machines can catch fire working in a hot summer.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 10:50 PM

Never leave anything to float about under the drivers seat. It could find it's way under the brake pedal.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Never leave anything to float about under the drivers seat. It could find it's way under the brake pedal.
Not in my car it couldn't but you didn't answer the questions.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:00 PM

Problem over here Bruce is that most car derived extinguishers, are small so wouldn’t be very effective, if a fire starts in the engine bay for example, most would open the bonnet to try and use the fire extinguisher, this would allow more air in to feed the fire, so the piddling little extinguisher, would be used up quickly
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

06-01-2020, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Problem over here Bruce is that most car derived extinguishers, are small so wouldn’t be very effective, if a fire starts in the engine bay for example, most would open the bonnet to try and use the fire extinguisher, this would allow more air in to feed the fire, so the piddling little extinguisher, would be used up quickly
The trick there is to only crack open the bonnet enough to inject the powder. Surely most people realise that?

My fire extinguisher is only 1.5kg from memory.

I have one in my camper too. They are only $24 which seems a cheap investment to me.

Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 08:26 AM

Yes some know that , but not many carry extinguishers over here, at least not private car drivers afaik,

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top