Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 06:28 AM

Re: Suffering fools

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I must be one of the fools that this thread is relating to Surfermom, because I haven't clue what all of this is about...
and I can't see that by knowing this stuff will benefit me, you, the forum or the planet...It just makes me feel so inadequate......
LOL....something tells me that you are the last person on the forum to feel inadequate.

We are all foolish, OGF. That's the fun of it!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I don't think it's stupid to want to kill yourself. It's such a personal thing and I've met many people who disclosed that they had suicidal feelings. The last thing they need is to be judged. But actually trying to do it while drunk driving a car on a public road is another thing altogether. . Because it's not j just about you then is it. It's about all the others on the road that you might take with you. Then it's a selfish bastard act as well as being beyond stupid.

Exactly correct

I doubt that that fellow wanted to kill himself. I honestly believe that he intended doing whatever he damn well felt like and to hell with the law OR anybody else.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 10:09 AM

What do you think of the expression "I don't suffer fools gladly" ? What do you think it says about a person who uses it? I have heard some say it indicates a highly intelligent person who is very highly educated, extremely knowledgeable about just about everything and easily bored by the mundane. And I have heard others say that it indicates an intolerant, arrogant individual who acts like they are above everyone else but secretly feels inadequate. A person who is happy enough to be unpleasant, dismissive or even hostile to others but are rather upset when people are unpleasant back. What do you think?

I think it depends on the individual ...I have never taken it seriously or personally....we all say things like that or even think it......

Personally,I think we should all be concerned with our own thoughts and behaviour.....other people's behaviour belongs to them...it's their responsibility..

I have learnt or learning to control my tongue.....it's good discipline ,..but first it needs to be recognised...self aware.

Anyway that's my thoughts on it....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 10:40 AM

I don't think it's stupid to want to kill yourself. It's such a personal thing and I've met many people who disclosed that they had suicidal feelings. The last thing they need is to be judged. But actually trying to do it while drunk driving a car on a public road is another thing altogether. . Because it's not j just about you then is it. It's about all the others on the road that you might take with you. Then it's a selfish bastard act as well as being beyond stupid.
But he did'nt consciously try to kill himself KZ did he, he was probably
just an alcoholic under the influence?
Does that make him stupid? Im not sure!
Donkeyman!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
But he did'nt consciously try to kill himself KZ did he, he was probably
just an alcoholic under the influence?
Does that make him stupid? Im not sure!
Donkeyman!
As long as he didn't kill anybody else I guess it's academic now yeah?.He's gone and that's sad. What I do think is that it would be very sad indeed if the totality of his life was judged on his one final - stupid or not - act. I feel sorry for those he left behind. I judged him for that one act. He could have killed somebody but he didn't. But I don't know either.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
If the universe is infinite dont ALL possibilities become probable?
And eventually certainties?

If that makes sense?
Donkeyman!
PS. How did we get on this subject?
We were talking about the duke of Edinbrough?
No, they don't become certainties Donkeyman, they become 'Best Guesses'....Until someone has a better guess....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I disagree. When someone says that he/she does not suffer fools gladly, it is almost always said to yet a 3rd person and out of hearing range of the fool.

Case in point. We all have heard people make disparaging remarks about people of color. For example, white supremacists, neo-Nazis routinely put down non-whites, Jews etc.

Such people do not deserve my respect, politeness or tolerance.

When I was in college, I met a fellow and he became my friend. One day a few months after meeting him he made a remark about "NASTY GOOKS" (Asians). I immediately asked him if he was referring to my ex-girlfriend and my daughter ?(Japanese). He got a shocked look on his face but did not apologize, and I simply walked away from him never to speak to him again. He was a fool and I did not suffer his company.
Obviously you had things in common bakerman for him to become your friend in the first place. If it was me I would have challenged his statement further and understood why he made such a statement. Or was he just trying to be clever and talking bollox....
Life's too short to hold grudges and friendship is unconditional....
I have many friends who I don't always agree with, and them with me, but we are still good friends, all the better for being who they are....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Obviously you had things in common bakerman for him to become your friend in the first place. If it was me I would have challenged his statement further and understood why he made such a statement. Or was he just trying to be clever and talking bollox....
Life's too short to hold grudges and friendship is unconditional....
I have many friends who I don't always agree with, and them with me, but we are still good friends, all the better for being who they are....
Life is not to short to hold grudges. Do something about obtaining redress or just write them off and move on. Nor is friendship unconditional.

Friendship must always be conditional. Never trust ANYBODY completely and you'll never be disappointed.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-01-2020, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Life is not to short to hold grudges. Do something about obtaining redress or just write them off and move on. Nor is friendship unconditional.

Friendship must always be conditional. Never trust ANYBODY completely and you'll never be disappointed.
And that's where you and me differ Todger.....
To hold grudges makes one bitter and twisted and has a greater negative effect on the grudge holder than it does on the victim of the grudge.

Obtaining Redress, writing them off and moving on could be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, consider it a learning curve about the person in question, don't expect people to always live up to your standards (or down to them) it doesn't make them a bad person.

We agree on your final point....'Never trust anyone completely' we can all be bought.....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

I agree. I had a close friend for 40 years and I obviously never knew her because she hurt and betrayed me badly a few months ago. If that friendship was unconditional it would mean I don't have any self respect. It's made me realise I can trust no one but myself. 40 damn years it took me to find out what a two faced bitch she is.

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top