Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 01:16 PM

Re: Has social media created a generation of lazy people?

Maybe not quite the laziness you meant Longdogs and yes I agree, but not just social media, boxed sets and computer games must also be brought into the mix. Before anyone jumps on my neck....I'm not criticising people for doing it....Hell! I spend an awful lot of my time on here myself.

But in the past how did we occupy our time that we now spend looking at a screen?
You've got to ask yourself....What if there was no internet, or TV ?
Would some of the great discoveries not have been discovered if say Edison or Tesla had been hooked on facebook or twitter?

I don't use facebook it's too high maintenance for me, but I don't rubbish those that do. I don't have family or friends that live a long way away.......In fact I don't have 'Any Family or Friends' period.... But I do like to have a shufty on twitter from time to time. I've long since passed the point where I am offended by bad language or scenes of a sexual nature....I used to work in a factory for God's sake....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 01:26 PM

I like facebook. It allows me to be in constant touch with my huge family in America, all on one platform.

I have a lot of fun and laughs on facebook with my friends and family, I don't really understand why people are against it so much. If used in a proper manner it can be a good thing.

Don't add people you don't know to your personal facebook and you'll be ok.

I have to say though, in some groups like our local crime group that I am a member of I see such hatred spouted on there and vile comments, it can be quite disturbing.

I don't do twitter or intagram, they don't appeal to me but facebook isn't much different to this social media platform except I'm talking to just about everyone on here I've never met LOL
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:25 PM

I would do a friends & family thing on Facebook if others in my generation would, but they won't.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Maybe not quite the laziness you meant Longdogs and yes I agree, but not just social media, boxed sets and computer games must also be brought into the mix. Before anyone jumps on my neck....I'm not criticising people for doing it....Hell! I spend an awful lot of my time on here myself.

But in the past how did we occupy our time that we now spend looking at a screen?
You've got to ask yourself....What if there was no internet, or TV ?
Would some of the great discoveries not have been discovered if say Edison or Tesla had been hooked on facebook or twitter?

I don't use facebook it's too high maintenance for me, but I don't rubbish those that do. I don't have family or friends that live a long way away.......In fact I don't have 'Any Family or Friends' period.... But I do like to have a shufty on twitter from time to time. I've long since passed the point where I am offended by bad language or scenes of a sexual nature....I used to work in a factory for God's sake....

It is odd to think that just a few years ago, there was no such thing as the internet. It feels like it has been here forever. I suppose we are all guilty of being lazy (me included). At one time, if I wanted to find out about something, I would have had to have gone to a library, now I can find the answer within a few seconds without leaving my chair.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I would do a friends & family thing on Facebook if others in my generation would, but they won't.
Could be a bit lonely.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-01-2020, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I like facebook. It allows me to be in constant touch with my huge family in America, all on one platform.

I have a lot of fun and laughs on facebook with my friends and family, I don't really understand why people are against it so much. If used in a proper manner it can be a good thing.

Don't add people you don't know to your personal facebook and you'll be ok.

I have to say though, in some groups like our local crime group that I am a member of I see such hatred spouted on there and vile comments, it can be quite disturbing.

I don't do twitter or intagram, they don't appeal to me but facebook isn't much different to this social media platform except I'm talking to just about everyone on here I've never met LOL
Don't get me wrong LQ, I do think it has its uses.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 09:47 PM

I am back on face book...only because I love the religious groups....

Other than that,it doesn't interest me..oh...I tell a fib...buy and sell sites in my area I frequent...

Mind you I have been looking up quite a few friends on Facebook,that I knew in the past......

Can someone tell me please.....when I search for a person on Facebook......will they know that I searched for them....does it show on their timeline?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I don't think they had facebook when King George was a lad d00d.......

YE Olde Facebook!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I am back on face book...only because I love the religious groups....

Other than that,it doesn't interest me..oh...I tell a fib...buy and sell sites in my area I frequent...

Mind you I have been looking up quite a few friends on Facebook,that I knew in the past......

Can someone tell me please.....when I search for a person on Facebook......will they know that I searched for them....does it show on their timeline?

I'm not on facebook Pauline but my wife is. She thinks not. But get a second opinion.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
[/I][/B]
I'm not on facebook Pauline but my wife is. She thinks not. But get a second opinion.

Firstly,good to see you,keezoy,thank you for answering my post.

Your wife is right...they can't see that you searched for them...I googled it..the question was asked regular,....so once again thank you both.....Happy New Year...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top