Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2021, 04:35 AM

Re: Shortages in the shops

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I recall reading that the late frosts have caused problems in all sorts of ways. There was snow in Spain for the first time in I don't know how long. So shortages of certain fruits and a poor wine harvest were predicted in Southern Europe. Basically a perfect storm of bad news for foodies.
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There is some problem with getting into the Country plus as mentioned there is a shortage of Eastern European drivers. I think also there's a problem getting pickers.
Thank you.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

24-06-2021, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I absolutely love your sense of humour Ulla .. have you ever got thrown out for arsing around anywhere 😁😉
All the time LD
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2021, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Cooking oil might be problematic too, also cleaning materials. We drink bottled water rather than tap water and already that's becoming increasingly difficult to get in the quantity we usually buy. We're going to buy a few bottles of booze now rather than later.

Neither of us drink but there's Christmas boxes to be thought it.
Christmas

Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2021, 08:34 AM

For the last few weeks we've ditched online shopping and gone back to actual shopping at Tesco. We've seen lots of empty shelves, particularly in the produce department. Some weeks there are no salad leaves or cucumbers to be had at all. There have been notices dotted around apologising for the shortage of some items, due to issues in the supply chain. We have been going at around 7.30pm on a Monday, in the hope that it would be less busy then.

On Monday this week I went there soon after 8.00 am to get a particular item that I thought might not be available later. It was much less busy than the evening, but still lots of empty spaces on the shelves. It was swarming with the staff 'pickers' for online shoppers, though, so now I'm thinking it's best to go very early before the pickers have cleared the shelves!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2021, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I have noticed a shortage in dog food. My dog has had gastric problems for years and needs a particular brand of food as its the only thing she can digest properly. I have been struggling to get it, and source it from different pet food suppliers, both online and in real life. I mix it with plenty of veg to make it last further, but still....

Never eat tinned food, so that's not a problem. Might stock up on flour though....
Dogs are carnivorous animals pixie, and they cannot digest large
amounts of veggies !
So maybe your poor doggie is being poisened by you ??
Inadvertantly of course !!

Donkeyman! 👍🤔🤔👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2021, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Roj Blake ->
Since lockdown has been slowly lifting the construction industry has started to get back to normal especially house building and people extending their houses this has resulted in a shortage of timber.Which will then result in price increases for building materials.
Could be the middlemen holding stuff back to create a shortage
leading to a price rise Roj ??
Or is that unthinkable !

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Roj Blake ->
Agree I use Tesco online for my weekly shop and have noticed they are still limiting some items to just one per shopper.
One thing I did notice early this week while placing my order was they had no celery,all three brands were not in stock so I'll probably retry later on in the week.
Count Tallard, who was taken prisoner in 1704 at the Battle of Blenheim, first cultivated celery on the banks of the Leen and the Trent where it grew wild.

This green fingered gentleman spent much of his incarceration showing the locals in Nottingham how to grow salads and bake white bread rolls....With not a Tescos in sight.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Could be the middlemen holding stuff back to create a shortage
leading to a price rise Roj ??
Or is that unthinkable !

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
If you owned a Supermarket, DM, you'd want there to be a shortage "scare" every couple of months.

That would, actually, be a self fulfilling prophecy!

Check it's arrival by counting the number of bog rolls being wheeled out into the car park!

("How to get rich & Influence People")
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I'm hearing through my grapevine that there may soon be shortages in the shops.

This for a variety of reasons but especially the lack of truck drivers to deliver from regional depots to retail outlets. That's before even considering the ongoing impact of The Chinese Plague and the French playing silly sods with us as they are.

What will be in short supply? My guess is that lavatory paper won't be hard to get though flour and other baking supplies may well be.

Also tinned goods, beans, tomatoes, Spaghetti, - in other words hard tack. And pet food, litter tray stuff and other pet requisites.

That's just my guess as is a shortage arising and hey! What do I know?

Any thoughts?

Time will tell.

I’m not a panic buyer....I don’t worry about that sort of thing..
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Dogs are carnivorous animals pixie, and they cannot digest large
amounts of veggies !
So maybe your poor doggie is being poisened by you ??
Inadvertantly of course !!

Donkeyman! 👍🤔🤔👍
They are omnivores, Donkeyman and can eat veggies as well as meat. Obviously in proportion, I don't give her an entire plate of carrots and broccoli, for example, heh!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top