Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 01:27 PM

Wild Orchids

I think I promised to post some photos of some wild orchids, ages and ages ago! So better late than never They were all taken a few years ago in Oxfordshire. I used to belong to the local wildlife group, think it was called Berks, Bucks & Oxon Wildlife Trust who produce a booklet of all their nature reserves together with details of what flowers you can expect to find in each reserve and I made it my mission to find as many wild orchids as I could. I have some more which I'll post soon. My favourite, the Bee Orchid was not taken on the nature reserve and neither was the Butterfly.

I used to walk Bonnie and Tessa in the local woods every morning before work and I met a very nice lady there called Sue and we became good friends. It was Sue who opened my eyes to the variety of wildflowers which were there including three types of wild orchids, Butterfly, Common and Early flowering. Sadly she is no longer with us but I am very grateful to her.

Bee Orchid (using a sheet of black card as background)

Butterfly orchid (again using black card)

Fly Orchid

Monkey Orchid

Common Orchid
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 01:29 PM

Re: Wild Orchids

How lovely Marian
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 03:02 PM

Such exquisite flowers Marian, thanks for putting them on. They are aptly named, except for the common orchid, nothing common about it
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 03:20 PM

They're stunning, Marian ....I would love those in my garden!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Well here we go again... I dont like Orchids , sorry, my uncle Louis always sent an orchid to Grannie every now and then,she loved them.May have been Mothers day.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 07:02 PM

They are really beautiful photo's Marian.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Lovely Marian.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 10:59 PM

want them
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2012, 11:31 PM

Thanks for all your comments and am glad you like them. Wild orchids are quite different to the house plants you buy in the shops. They are also quite small but once you locate one its surprising how much easier it is to find more. I tried to find a Frog Orchid this year but I only had one attempt and wasn't successful. May try again next year.
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 04:32 PM

Monkey and Fly Orchids are new to me, they make great photography subjects.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top