Join for free
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Egypt 'Land of the Pharaohs'

Egypt

'Land of the Pharaohs'

http://tinyurl.com/bcfp5lk

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Re: Egypt 'Land of the Pharaohs'

I adore Egyptology Michael, so I have bookmarked your link and will watch it when I've got more time. Many thanks...
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 12:37 PM

Egypt
This link will keep you occupied for hours.

http://tinyurl.com/cld58q8
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Michael matey, Jean and I spent 2 weeks in Egypt - one of which we sailed the Nile from Luxor down to Aswan and back - go have a look at my profile page where I've posted some of the photos I took whilst there.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2012, 02:07 PM

We've been to Egypt twice, the first time was stopping off from a mini cruise to visit the Pyramids and the Cairo museum. My husband had a gold khartouche made there for me which was engraved with my name in hieroglyphics.

Then four years ago we returned to Egypt, this time staying on an island in the Nile at Luxor. We visited all the wonders of Luxor including the Temples, Valley of the Kings and took a hot air balloon flight over the Luxor area. Amazing sites, I would love to return again one day.
Michael
Near London,UK

24-11-2012, 09:55 PM

We also had the opportunity to visit Egypt.

We visited the Egyptian Museum, which houses an array of fascinating artefacts including those found in Tutankhamun’s tomb.

The Pyramids and the Sphinx

The city of the dead,’ and the Step Pyramid of Zoser.

The Aswan High Dam, which created the vast expanse of Lake Nasser.

The Philae Temple complex,

Abu Simbel to view the temples of Ramses II.

We had an hour sailing aboard a traditional felucca before boarding a Presidential Nile ship for a memorable three-night journey along the Nile.

We visited the Ptolemaic Temple at Kom Ombo, dedicated to the god of the morning sun, and in the evening sailed on to Edfu to view one of the best-preserved temple in Egypt, dedicated to the Egyptian god, Horus.

We visited the Valleys of the Kings and Queens and we also went up in a hot air balloon.

Looking down on the Valley of the Kings was an amazing experience.

Visiting several underground tombs was incredible - how they managed to cut passageways and multiple chambers out of solid rock?

We visited the vast City of the Dead

Karnak and Luxor Temples

We purchased several Papyrus pictures (which are still in their containers)

It was a once in a lifetime experience and I would love to visit the region again
Michael
Near London,UK

29-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Some interesting facts about Egypt?

I have not checked them for authenticity (Actually that would be very difficult)

Both Egyptian men and women wore makeup – eyepaint was usually green (made from copper) or black (made from lead).
The Egyptians believed that the makeup had healing power.
Originally the makeup was used as a protection from the sun – rather than for adornment.

While the use of antibiotics did not begin in the 20th century, early folk medicine included the use of mouldy foods or soil for infections.
In ancient Egypt, for example, infections were treated with mouldy bread.

Egyptian children wore no clothing at all until they were in their teens.
The temperature in Egypt made it unnecessary. Adult men wore skirts while women wore dresses.

Rich Egyptians wore wigs while the other classes would wear their hair long or in pig tails until 12,
Egyptian boys had their heads shaved except for one plaited lock – this was as a protection against lice and fleas.

It is not known who destroyed the nose of the Sphinx
There are sketches of the Sphinx without a nose in 1737, over 60 years before Napoleon reached Egypt
and hundreds of years before the British and German armies of the two World Wars.
The only person known to have damaged it was an Islamic cleric, Sa’im al-dahr, who was lynched in 1378 for vandalism.

Egyptian’s believed that the earth was flat and round (like a pancake) and that the Nile flowed through the center of it.

Egyptian soldiers were used as an internal police force. Additionally, they collected taxes for the Pharaoh.

In every temple in ancient Egypt the pharaoh was supposed to carry out the duties of the high priests,
but his place was usually taken by the chief priest.

The first pyramid 'The Step Pyramid of Djoser built around 2600 BC' was originally surrounded by a 34 ft tall wall which had 15 doors in it.
Only one of the doors opened.

The women in ancient Egypt enjoyed legal and economical equality with men. Nevertheless, they never enjoyed social equality with men.

Contrary to popular belief, excavated skeletons show that the pyramid builders were actually Egyptians who were most likely in the permanent employ of the pharaoh.
Graffiti indicates that at least some of these workers took pride in their work, calling their teams “Friends of Khufu,” “Drunkards of Menkaure,” and so on—
names indicating allegiances to pharaohs.

When a body was mummified, its brain was removed through one of its nostrils and its intestines were also removed and placed in jars called canopic jars.
Each organ was placed in its own jar. The only internal organ that was not removed was the heart, because Egyptians considered it to be the seat of the soul.

Ramses the Great had 8 official wives and nearly 100 concubines.
He was over 90 years old when he died in 1212 BC.

A Pharaoh never let his hair be seen – he would always wear a crown or a headdress called a nemes
the striped cloth headdress made famous by Tutankhamen’s golden mask .

In order to deter flies from landing on him, Pepi II of Egypt always kept several naked slaves nearby whose bodies were smeared with honey.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top