Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 10:39 AM

Playing with dyes as a change from dies

I harvested some lovely spring nettle tops originally to make soup - then I remembered one of our lovely OFF members sent me a book last year - all about natural dyes. Found a piece of Irish Linen - left over from something else - and have dyed it a beautiful shade of green. Now hanging up in the garage to dry.

Has anyone else tried dying their own fabric?

Note to self - go and harvest some more nettle tops for soup!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 10:48 AM

Re: Playing with dyes as a change from dies

Oh wow, yes! I haven't tried nettles, but onions, beetroot, berries, and turmeric I have done. As I haven't used mordant for fixing, I just use the fabric for journal covers or little sewing projects that don't need washing. Do you fix yours, Tabby and if so, how?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 02:50 PM

Yes - I use a mordant - Alum Powder. I like it because you can use it in with the dye instead of it having to be a separate process - and it doesn't alter the colours.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 11:13 PM

I have dyed many of my own fabrics in my time, but in every case it was unintentional.

Hoisin and curry sauce are usually the hardest to reverse.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top